Chapter 17: Christmas Day

The next day, Kageyama tried to keep his distance from Yachi. Since it was Christmas Eve, practice was going to finish early. 

He noticed Hinata hadn’t told him anything about the kiss. He wasn’t mad nor was he treating him differently. 

Has Yachi not told him what happened? Why wouldn’t she…?

Yachi hadn’t noticed Kageyama was avoiding her until she handed him a ball and he took it without looking at her. For the rest of practice, she noticed he was avoiding eye contact with her and he avoided staying close to her. 

“Hey Kiyoko, can I ask you for a favor?” Yachi told Kiyoko.

“Yea, what is it?” Kiyoko said. 

Yachi came closer to whisper in her ear.

***

“Hey Kageyama, Coach Ukai wants to talk to you. He’ll be waiting here in the gym when you’re done changing,” Kiyoko told Kageyama as everyone started to make their way to the locker room. 

“Alright,” Kageyama said, a bit curious about what Coach Ukai had to tell him.

“See you guys tomorrow!” Hinata said rushing off to go get his bike and wait for Yachi in front of the school. 

Kageyama was the last to finish changing. He made his way to the gym again to talk to Coach Ukai. 

However, when he entered the only one there was Yachi.

“What are you doing here?” Kageyama asked, a bit nervous. 

“Sorry, I had Kiyoko lie to you. Coach Ukai doesn’t need to talk to you, I do,” Yachi told him.

Kageyama looked away. “What do you have to say to me?” he asked, not looking at her.

“I noticed you were avoiding me today. Even now you refuse to make eye contact with me,” Yachi said.

“I’m not,” Kageyama looked at her this time. 

“It’s pretty obvious you are and the only reason you would do that is because you remembered what happened after the party, didn’t you?” Yachi questioned. 

Kageyama’s cheeks turned slightly pink. 

“I’m sorry. I just remembered yesterday and I felt guilty,” Kageyama looked down. 

“Don’t worry about it. You were drunk and weren’t aware of what you were doing. Hinata doesn’t know about it either, no one does actually so we can pretend it never happened,” Yachi waved her hand. 

“Why haven’t you told Hinata?” Kageyama asked.

“I don’t want him to get upset and I don’t want him to get mad at you. I don’t like it when you guys fight,” Yachi said worriedly. 

“I guess you have a point.” 

“Anyway, you can stop avoiding me and we can go back to the way we were before,” Yachi smiled. 

“Yeah,...uh sorry for avoiding you,” Kageyama apologized. 

“It’s fine, well we should get going now. It’s cold outside and Hinata’s waiting for me,” Yachi started to walk away. 

Kageyama followed her and they both walked together. 

Even though she said I wasn’t aware of what I was doing, why do I feel like I wanted to kiss her so bad that night. I can clearly remember being attracted to her.

Kageyama looked down at her as they walked. The cold air made Yachi’s cheeks and nose slightly red. 

Even now she looks cute to me….