The Depressed and The Manic

******************************

This Chapter's Song:

Dancing Queen by ABBA

"See that girl
Watch that scene
Digging the dancing queen"

******************************

Remus Lupin sighed as he stood behind the counter of the diner, fiddling with his apron nervously.

At the diner he worked at, Savannah's Diner, that is, it was usually busy. Remus, for some reason, adored the diner when it was crowded. Every day when the lunch rush started, he would always look to Lily and smirk, almost saying, "who can get the most tips by the end of the flood?" with his eyes.

Lily always won. Remus always pinned it on the fact that she "has tits."

Lily would then proceed to flip him off.

But for some reason on that very hot July day at around one in the afternoon when the lunch rush would be coming in, the bell on the door never rung.

Remus was, well, frankly, quite confused.

He and Lily waited, talking about how her college courses had been going that past year, and how Remus was getting along. They waited and waited and waited, but nothing. Lily groaned when the clock struck three-thirty, the diner still close to empty.

"I'm going out for a smoke," she sighed. Remus hummed in response, leaning against the wall next to the entrance to the back room, scanning the diner closely. "Do you wanna come?"

Remus shook his head. "I'll stay here in case anyone shows up. Doubt that they will."

Lily snickered and patted Remus on the back before going into the back room and out the door to the alleyway next to the diner.

Remus sighed, crossing his arms and leaning his head back in frustration. He pushed himself off the wall and over to the counter, grabbing a rag and the cleaning spray on his way over. He had only helped two customers all day, and by then, he just so deeply needed to do something, anything.

So he chose to excessively clean every surface of the diner.

He began with the counters, scrubbing vigorously as he listened to music from the old jukebox in the corner of the diner. He then moved to the stools at the counter, cleaning and drying the seats thoroughly, before moving onto the booths' tables and their seats as well.

Lily had come back after a few minutes and began to help Remus with the counter and the stools before he insisted that he could do the booths on his own. She went back behind the counter and watched as Remus quietly hummed along with the jukebox, rag moving back and forth steadily. She smiled at her friend of eight years and sighed.

There's no doubt about the fact that Remus and Lily had been through a lot together.

When Remus and Lily met at the beginning of secondary school, Remus was a very wary boy, cautious to anyone he met. It took him a while to open up to Lily and to trust her, but after he did, they became inseparable.

Four years after they met, Lily had a breakdown.

She stopped going to school, not even bothering to tell Remus why she wasn't going. Remus gave her space at first, but after a week of her being absent, he became concerned.