The Waiting Game

******************************

This Chapter's Song:

lovely (with Khalid) by Billie Eilish

"Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone"

******************************

Sirius woke up in a hospital bed, still in his clothes from before, dazed and lightheaded.

He sat up slightly and rubbed his head, confused as to why he was exactly in the hospital in the first place.

It all came flooding back.

Sirius began to breathe heavily as he remembered the events of that night. Or was it yesterday night.

What day was it?

Sirius swung his legs over the bed and hopped off of the bed, alerting a sleeping James who was sat in the chair beside him.

"Sirius," James said happily, standing up and running to hug him. He pulled back and looked over him closely. "Are you alright?"

"Where's Remus?"

James gulped. "Are you alright?"

Sirius shook his head slightly. "I don't care about me. Where's Remus?"

"Well, I do!" He said sternly, guiding Sirius to sit back down on his bed.

Sirius huffed as he sat down, picking at his fingernails.

"So," James said softly. "Are you alright?"

"What kind of a bullshit question is that?"

James frowned. "Sirius," he said quietly, sort of as a warning.

Sirius only shrugged. "I'm fine," he retorted. "Now, where's Remus?"

James gulped slightly. "He's still unconscious."

Sirius pressed his lips together and inhaled sharply through his nose.

"Shit," he cursed, putting his head in his hands. "Oh my god."

"Hey," James said softly, sitting next to Sirius. "It's gonna be okay."

"How do you know," Sirius yelled, turning to James with wet cheeks. "What if it's not going to be okay? What if Remus doesn't wake up?"

James only stared at Sirius. "But he's going to."

Sirius opened his mouth to object again, but a slight knock at the door interrupted him. A doctor entered the room, holding a clipboard while smiling at the two boys.

"Ah," he said happily. "Mr. Black! You're awake!"

Sirius only grumbled, playing with his jacket.

The doctor looked over his clipboard before glancing back up at Sirius.

"How are you feeling?"