The Breaking Point

******************************

This Chapter's Song:

when the party's over by Billie Eilish

"Call me friend but keep me closer (call me back)
And I'll call you when the party's over"

******************************

"Fuck," was all Remus could force out. "Shit, okay, do-do you know where he is?"

Sirius nodded. "P-Pete said he-he was at the hospital already. Fuck, this can't be happening, shit."

Remus pulled Sirius into a hug and Sirius panted heavily against him. Remus squeezed him a bit before pulling back. "Did that help at all?"

Sirius let out a short laugh. "A-A bit."

Remus sighed as he thought for a second. "I'll go ask Lily if we can borrow her car, alright? Then we'll go."

Sirius nodded curtly and Remus quickly walked to Lily's room, not bothering to knock before entering. She looked up at him from her bed and raised an eyebrow. "What? Do you need a condom or something, cause I don't have any—"

"What?" Remus narrowed his eyes. "No, I-I need your car. It's an emergency."

Lily let out a short laugh. "What's the emergency?"

"I-I, something's happened to James. You know, Sirius' friend? He's at the hospital."

Lily inhaled sharply before nodding. "Y-Yeah, go ahead, but I'm coming along. Maybe I can help, who knows," she said with a short laugh.

Lily and Remus walked back over to Sirius who was pacing in the entryway, biting his nails nervously. Lily and Remus quickly put their shoes on before Sirius looked to the redhead. "She's coming? Sorry, that sounded rude, it wasn't supposed to be!"

Lily snorted. "Well, it is my car."

Sirius shrugged and they left the apartment, speeding away almost immediately when Sirius hopped in the backseat. He ran his fingers through his hair before slouching over and putting his face in his hands.

"Fuck," he said, voice muffled from his hands. "This is all my fault."

Remus immediately turned around to face Sirius and narrowed his eyes. "No," he said softly but sternly. "No, Sirius, no it's not. You couldn't have done anything to stop it—"

"I could have been there!" He shouted. "I could have stopped him! Fuck, he said he was just going to a meeting! And-And Peter, where was he? Huh? Fucking god!"

Remus shook his head slightly as he listened to Sirius scream. He reached out his hand for Sirius to take, but Sirius only shook his head and cried softly into his hands. Remus watched as he did so, heart breaking slightly as it continued.

"Sirius take my hand."

Sirius shook his head, still crying.

"Sirius—"

"No! It's my fault—"

"Sirius!"

Sirius looked up, red-eyed with tears streaming down his face and shook his head lightly. Remus stared at him as he panted slightly, grabbing Sirius' hand and squeezing it.

"Do you remember three days ago?"

Sirius closed his eyes and shook his head. "W-What does that have to do—"