The Unscheduled Appointment

******************************

This Chapter's Song:

blame game by mxmtoon

"And I know
That it's not the first time
That I've given so much away
To be left with someone who just won't stay"

******************************

Remus didn't see Sirius for two weeks after James overdosed.

He had watched Sirius walk out of the hospital that day, but he was long gone before Remus could stop him. Remus waited at Savannah's the next day, around the time when Sirius would usually come to get a milkshake, but he never showed.

No texts, no calls, no note.

He was just gone.

Remus waited and waited for two weeks for something, anything that told him Sirius was alive and just ignoring him for some reason.

But he never got anything.

Remus stopped sleeping, hoping that if Sirius did call him, he would be awake for it. He barely left his room unless he was working, he didn't eat much anymore, and he stopped talking to Lily.

His meds suddenly went off-balance.

A week after Sirius disappeared, Remus started buzzing around at all times, always going somewhere and doing something, and Lily noticed.

She thought he had stopped taking his meds all together, and she wasn't going to take any of his bullshit.

Remus stood biting his nails behind the counter of Savannah's at one o'clock, waiting for a new pot of coffee to brew. Lily was to his left, helping a customer, when she looked at him slightly, examining how he drummed his fingers on the counter and tapped his foot anxiously.

Fuck me, she thought.

Remus sighed slightly as he grabbed the pot of coffee, walking over to the table that asked for it. He walked back around to the counter and crossed his arms, scanning the room slightly. There were only three people in the diner, two of them at a booth and one at the counter, so Remus decided that it was alright if he went out for a smoke.

He was smoking a lot lately.

He grabbed his cigarettes and lighter and headed out the back door quickly. Lily watched as the person at the counter paid and left, leaving only the two people at the booth in the diner. And, well, as they were elderly, she assumed that they wouldn't really want to steal from the register if she were to go talk to Remus.

She walked out the back door slowly, Remus' head turning slightly as he took another drag from his cigarette. He sighed, the smoke flowing out of his mouth, and looked at the ground.

She smiled slightly. "Can I bum one off of you?"

Remus nodded shortly before handing her the box, cigarette dangling from his lips. She took the box and grabbed a cigarette, lighting it with her lighter.

The two stood in the alleyway, staring at the brick wall of the building next to theirs in silence, smoke blowing away in the wind. Lily sighed as she took another drag, glancing at Remus.