VIII

[AN]

Hello!

On today's menu: Tae's full role in getting Kai back, with a side of Taekook, and extra tension

:D

I hope you enjoy the chapter!!!

________________________________________________________________________________

(Previously)

Taehyung jolted, fixing Namjoon with a hard, intense stare.

"I'll help you" He said, voice solid and unwavering. "Whatever you need, I'll do it."

~・✧・~

Namjoon startled, cocking his head as his features morphed into one of surprise; eyebrows meeting hairline and lips parted. He flicked a curious gaze in Jimin's direction but the orange-haired male avoided his eye, keeping his attention locked on the brunette beside him. Jeongguk too, turned fully in his chair to face Taehyung. The hard lines of his face had softened into bafflement and his deep eyes sparked, alert and shimmering with newfound respect.

Taehyung stared at Namjoon for a moment longer, limbs rigid. His only movement being the harsh glide of forefinger across the silver adorning his other hand. When the ravenette's gaze began to sizzle, Taehyung shifted, meeting Jeongguk's stare head-on. He didn't falter, squelching what sliver of disbelief had filtered into the older's eyes. Jeongguk blinked, easing back in his chair, feigning nonchalance. It was impossible, however, not to notice the way he fidgeted, how a shadow of a smile quirked the edge of his thin lips.

The leader cleared his throat, having finally caught Jimin's roaming brown eyes. His brows had lowered, but one remained arched, as he bore into Jimin, observing every minute detail. His chocolate orbs snagged on Jimin's hand, white-knuckled and attached to Taehyung's and he nodded, a gentle hum rising in the back of his throat.

"Wonderful!" Namjoon cheered, any trace of surprise masked as he, once again, ignored Taehyung's reaction and sudden eagerness to help, recognizing it as an area to tread lightly over.

The blonde beckoned Yoongi from his perch in the dark corners of the room, the white-haired male having been eerily silent throughout the whole exchange. Now, as he came forward, flipping the knife casually, he raked a single, impassive eye over Taehyung. The brunette caught the glint in his dark gaze as Yoongi turned away, watched as his lips slid back into that wolfish grin.

"Taehyung." Namjoon began, drawing Taehyung's attention away from Yoongi. Had he been paying more attention, Taehyung might have picked up on the near mischievous lilt to the blonde's voice, or the way Jeongguk's shoulders rolled back, taunt with anticipation.

"How do you feel about joining a mafia?"

Taehyung gaped, spluttering dumbly at the same time Jeongguk swiveled, dark eyes alight with what could only be described as rage, pinning Namjoon with a scorching glare. He seemed to be among the only ones not surprised or caught off guard.

"Namjoon" Jeongguk hissed, tone daring the other to protest. His voice was dangerously low, a penetrating growl bubbling in his throat and pressing harshly on the name. Namjoon merely waved a hand dismissively, not sparing Jeongguk a glance. He was watching Taehyung's face closely, features glistening under the faint light in the room.

Taehyung's mouth opened and closed like a fish, voice stolen by a twist of shock. He snuck a glance at Jimin. The male appeared somewhere between surprised and suspicious, eyes narrowed as they flicked from Yoongi's wooden figure to Namjoon's patient gaze. His hand had gone limp in Taehyung's hold.