Hold Me While You Wait: the one where harry believes in soul mates

Summary: Harry believes in soul mates and Y/N thinks it's him

Word Count: 627 words

Warnings: angst (honestly, what else)

Based on: Hold Me While You Wait by Lewis Capaldi

------

Harry believed in soul mates-that someone out there was completely and perfectly made for him and only him. He thought that their meeting would be spontaneous, something out of the blue. Unexpected encounters where he would find himself seeing in slow motion as if the woman's hair moved against a gentle breeze and her eyes flicked in a sluggish blink but really-it was just his gaze encompassing her figure, his heart beating ten times faster than usual because she would be a real beauty. He believed that he still hasn't met her, though.

It was different for Y/N-she was sure that she had met her soulmate already. It was Harry, of course. There was no doubt that his charming personality and soft smile did all the work for him, besides his increasing aptitude of good looks-Y/N was in trouble.

They've been friends for a few years through mutual friends, attached to the hip. They were a package deal where you wouldn't find one without the other. Harry and Y/N shared everything from clothes to food, music and stories-but one thing's for sure; feelings weren't one of them.

---

Y/N watched Harry's eyes flicker around the room of the gallery exhibit, fingers rimmed on the sides of the sparkling glass of wine he carried effortlessly. His lips pursed in thought all the while Y/N simply admired the beauty embodied by him. Her heart fluttered, beat and thrummed against her rib cage because she couldn't believe that even with all these people, he chose to stay right by her side.

They were connected-so connected that she felt a shift in his mood to one of surprise and slight anxiety. The relaxing atmosphere of their bubble of two popping to a frantic impulse to hold on.

"I think that's her," Harry whispered breathlessly, his usually thick voice spreading out in a shy emittance.

Y/N was confused until she followed the direction he was turned in. A crease in her brows presents until she realized the woman with a radiant aura -that she would say matched Harry's-took his whole attention away from her.

Maybe she shouldn't let it affect her as much, especially since he had no knowledge of her feelings but she couldn't help but blame him for being too blind to see--for being so focused on finding something good that he didn't notice her floating by his nose, supporting him through it all. And Y/N had no place in controlling his feelings but she felt as though she deserved a kind of love that only he could give her. It wasn't fair for her when his kindness can be masked by a fake love that she so foolishly regarded as real.

She couldn't even actually yell at him or scream at him to please look at her in a different light for once because her voice was caught in her throat-that and the fact that they were in the middle of this goddamn exhibit that he invited her to.

In fact, there was nothing she could do as he bid his goodbye by planting a sloppy kiss on her cheek before announcing his approach to his 'soul mate'. Stuck at the moment while Y/N wished that she could turn back time and reveal her emotions to him because maybe then she could live with the fact that he knows. Maybe then she won't have to live her life lingering by his side, waiting to be plucked off the branches while his go-to changed to the woman that stole his heart and not the one he held on lonely nights, waiting for a fulfilling love to quench the hole in his heart.

Maybe she would've been the one for him.

____