A Cheat: the one where harry cheats (i)

Summary: Y/N and Harry are drifting apart, Y/N finds something that isn't hers
Warnings: angst
Word count: 1.7k

---

She stared at the promise ring on her finger. The ring glimmered against the bright lighting of a friend's party where she currently attends. Her thoughts wandered through a seemingly endless tape of memories of which the couple shared together. The good, the bad, the painful and hopeful; all of it flashed through her mind quickly with no delay. She was trying to pinpoint exactly where it went wrong when he decided to completely turn his back on her. Frankly, she didn't know what she did wrong, but something made him want to part away from her love; from her. If only she could figure out what it was.

These past months have been rough. And like every notion of change, it started with the little things. Cute, scribbled notes of whereabouts turned into aggravated text messages from his part. He might've even used the word 'clingy' once or twice, but she'll never admit to the embarrassment of her own boyfriend calling her that because she knows she's not. Why must she try to conform to something he called her when it's so far away from the truth? Kisses that left her own lips tingling for hours on end due to the idea that Harry loves her froze over with thoughts of doubt. Waking up to a cold half-side of the bed has never bothered her until now. Not until space continued to feel so frigid and empty as if it's been left untouched for days. Frankly, there have been times where he was up before she woke, and returned while she was in deep sleep. In earlier days, she'd find him crashed into their sofa–limbs hanging off the edge with his mouth partly open for snoring. She smiled to herself then, thinking that what he needed was a stress reliever, and so she gave him what he thought he needed. (Y/N) remembers the countless amount of times she'd tower over his lanky frame with a soft wool blanket, keeping his figure warm while she proceeded to gather medicine and water for his headache just before she left for her morning classes.

In short, he was, he is, distant. He wasn't around anymore. Right now, as (Y/N) stands surrounded by strangers of whom only Harry had an acquaintance, she feels disconnected from everybody, from her own self, and mostly; him. He was off to god knows where– maybe at a studio? Or off to a bar somewhere downtown, sipping his worries away with a shot of alcohol while she dwells over a lost love. Was it really lost? (Y/N) wonders if they can get through this together. She was missing him. His hugs and tight embrace disappearing slowly, just like the hope she felt and grabbing onto his empty promises of everlasting love. All this making her feel lonely and alone even with a crowd of people laughing around her. Everything about him, she misses. His voice that lulled her to sleep, his curly hair that wafter apple-scented shampoo eventually dwindled down to dull air. She misses all of it. (Y/N) misses him.

But he definitely did not miss her. He could go on days to and fro the studio without checking in on her for even a couple of minutes. That's silly, (Y/N) thought because Harry kept his two phones on him at all times. It would be almost impossible to believe that he didn't 'have time' for her when he could manage multiple emails, texts, and calls from others besides her. As much as she refused to accept the truth, she wasn't his number one anymore. The need to prioritize her reduced so much so that a simple, casual text to her would be considered troublesome. It's not even because Y/N took a long time to reply, she'd respond in a heartbeat if the time ever came. So, she didn't understand what had him so repulsed towards her.

Dressed in a silver-toned nightdress, she picked on her manicured nails worth of a uni textbook. Her hair was down in waves, being too lazy to do anything special with it. Plus, it served as a great barrier between her and strangers she knew nothing of.

"Y/N, I just remembered that I have to do some work for the new album. I can't go with you tonight"

Y/N read the text that she swooped for, being disappointed with the context in delivered.