Better Half: the one where y/n's pregnant but harry's not ready (i)

Summary: y/n has a bun in the oven and Harry's not up for it
Warnings: angst
Word Count: 1710 words
————–

Being a couple for over three years definitely makes you realize how much one can grow as a person. Harry and Y/N were no exception.

She was in university when they first met—him being invited to a house party while she had just finished her exams for the term. He was the star of the night—famous, popular Mr. Harry Styles dresses in casual Gucci from head to toe, yet his appearance never caved with his personality. He was the sweetest of the bunch–the life of the party. He made horrible jokes that still managed to plant a smile on everyone's faces. The stress of school and degrees disappearing from undergraduates' faces because of him and for a moment; they forgot that he wasn't one of them. He was a famous pop star–a rock icon that has not stepped foot in the chilly great walls of large universities that sucked endless amounts of money from mere students.

It wasn't a bad thing, per se, he just went a different direction with his life. Instead of spending his teens being tormented by the pressure of having dates during school dances, Harry was out having late nights at the studio to delve into a new song to write. Unlike Y/N who almost chewed the ends of her hair off studying for her Chemistry test one night, Harry was out walking a red carpet premiere for the VMA's.

But none of that mattered—especially when Harry approached Y/N at the corner of the room, drinking her own mix of liquor that was enough to get her tipsy. The leather couch was soft but the exterior was cracking. He sat down beside her with his legs spread wide to which she glared at him for—not realizing who he was. But it shouldn't matter anyway. She wasn't going to put him on a pedestal.

They got to talking. The ambiance of the party root too intense for them so Harry and Y/N separated themselves from the crowd. He spoke passionately about his job—the pressure, his influence, touring—everything that he has had the pleasure of experiencing in his short years of life. Y/N spilled her struggles getting into graduate school with a GPA that was on the brink of disappointment—how she spent her last semester as an undergraduate scavenging for extra credit and work experience to satisfy what her grades couldn't. She was smart—Harry told her. And indeed she was, school just wasn't measuring it the way it was meant to.

By the end of the night, they had shared information about each other more than either of them have to another person. Real feelings projecting themselves from their deepest parts, being spilled to a near stranger. Their emotions being validated by one another. The more things change, the more they stay the same. And maybe Y/N's problems were very dissimilar to Harry's—but nobody can deny that the obstacles they faced made them who they are today.

—--

If anything, Y/N would probably credit Harry for everything that has happened in the past years of her life. He was there for her—through thick and thin, sickness and in health—and it almost seemed that they were to be wed.

Except, one thing happened that she didn't expect.

—--

"What's this?" Harry whispered eyes set stoned on the pink pregnancy test he clutched between his fingers.

Y/N looked at him fearfully, voice shaking while she answered, "It's a pregnancy test, Har."

She gulped the lump in her throat when he didn't respond for a solid few seconds. His eyes twitching ever so often from her to the device—mouth forming words around nothing that would come out of him.

"I-it's—"

"It's positive, yeah," Y/N interrupted. "We're having a baby," She gently concluded seeing as though he seemed a little shook at the moment.