fashionable nails

~

~

"no daddy!" you heard the voice of your daughter yell.

"grace-"

"stay still!"

the voices of her and your husband echoed through the living room. holding in your small giggles you wandered to the big couch.

shawn sat down as grace sat on his lap and had his big hand on her leg. her small fingers roamed through her bag of nail polishes as her small legs dangle in the air.

"what's going on?" you laughed, sitting down next to shawn and resting your head on his shoulder.

"grace wants to test her nail polish on me." shawn sighed. considering that he went through that a couple of times now you knew that he was fine with it, though. you would even say he kind of enjoyed the time he could spent with his daughter whilst she did his nails.

"what color are we going for today, gracie?" you asked her, gently stroking her back.

"uhh... green! no, yellow!" she pulls out two bottles of nail polish before locking back and forth between them.

"which one?" shawn asked her.

"both! can we do both, please?" she pouted as she clinked the bottles against each other.

"sure, sweetie." shawn nodded.

a grin appeared on her face. it was the same grin that shawn would wear on his lips whenever he successfully got something his way. grace was in so many ways like him but also resembled you in so many other ways.

grace started painting shawn's nails. her little tongue stuck out her mouth as she was concentrated. of course she over-lined every nail but it was an adorable sight. shawn wouldn't dare to get the nail polish off until it came off itself.

"no moving, dad!" she scolded, pointing her little finger up in the air while she raised her eyebrows.

shawn and you hold in your giggles. her little attitude was definitely from you.
"sorry, baby. imma hold still." shawn apologized before he kissed her cheek.

she returned to her work and blew on every single nail once she was done with it. she closed the two bottles when she was finished and hopped off his lap to crawl into yours.

"thank you, baby." shawn smiled at her, showing you his painted hands.

"you did such a good job!" you gasped.

grace giggled, hiding her face in your chest as her cheeks became a bit rosy.

"i'm hungry, mommy." she whined after a few minutes.

"let's wait until daddy's hands are dry and then we can eat a small snack, yeah?" you spoke softly.

"m'kay." she nodded, chewing on her finger nails.

"stop biting your nails, gracie." shawn gently grabbed her small hand and hid it in his big one.

"oopsie." she playfully smiled causing shawn to elicit a small laugh.

"i think your nails should be good, babe." you reached for his hands and slightly tapped on his colorful nails.

"yep, all good." you smiled at him.

"gracie, why don't you pick a snack for all of us, okay? we're gonna eat here on the couch." shawn told her.

she eagerly nodded, hopped of your lap and ran to the kitchen where she could easily reach the lunch snacks.

"you have really fashionable nails, mr. mendes." you told him with a cheeky smile.

he looked at them once again as he grinned.
"thank you, i have the best nail-polish-artist!"

you giggled, "i'm sure about that."

he smiled, scooting over to you as he cupped your cheek and met your lips in a deep kiss. you smiled into the kiss as your hands went up to his face and shoulder so you could steady yourself. shawn's hand wandered to the side of your neck as he deepened the kiss.

you pulled away, slightly gasping for air and widely smiling.
"let's go eat a snack." you stood up.

"you're my snack." he winked causing you to laugh but he stood up and followed you to the kitchen where your energetic daughter had created quite a mess.