4 - More Introductions

Adam and I took the empty velvet couch across from the lady and her daughter. There was an awkward silence as we looked at her and she in turn looked at us. "Hello, I am Lady Mintaff and this is my daughter, Leia." She motioned toward the girl who had previously been sleeping, she looked to be about seven hears old if I had to guess.

Giving a small grin Leia turned away bashfully and stared out the window. "Hi I'm Zia and this is my brother Adam! He doesn't like speaking though..." I lied, covering up the fact that he knew nothing of their language. I touched his shoulder eliciting a startled gasp out of him before he too turned to look out the window.

If Lady Mintiff was suspicious she didn't show it. "Yes, I already knew that, but I must ask... Do you truly not remember how you came to be in the forest?" She started deeply into my eyes as she sunk further into her seat. I felt as if she were examining my very soul. I gulped, but forced an answer out quickly. "I truly do not remember, my lady." I bowed my head peeking up to see a small smirk twitch at the edge of her lips before she resumed her nonchalant expression. "I see you are speaking the truth. By the way, why do you act so mature for your age?"

It was as I thought, she was testing me. I internally groaned when she mentioned me being mature but answered nonetheless. "I just feel like I must act this way." I looked away from her instead choosing to focus on the lush carpet below my dangling feet. Several moments passed before I risked a glance back up at her to see her still studying me. She gave a slight nod and closed her eyes leaning back into the couch as if signifying the end of the conversation. I gave a weak smile as I looked around before I too closed my eyes, my tired body and mind are at their limit.

<Several Hours Later>

The sun shining in my eyes, i opened them to an almost empty carriage save for myself and my brother Adam.

Outside I could hear voices, the first belonging to a young sounding man. "Hello my sister, it has been a while since I last saw you. However I must ask why you have two random children in your carriage?"

It did not take much effort to know that he was talking about us.

"Oh, those are just some children we found in the forest on our way here. I was planning to put them into the care of an orphanage. They are rather unusual, but it does not really bother me." Lady Mintaff said with a sigh as she glanced at the carriage behind her.

"I shall go retrieve them now and have a servant take them to the orphanage near the south gate. She turned on her heel, her heels clacking against the ground as she strode towards the door when her brothers voice called her back.

"Would it be alright if I speak to the children before you send them off? I wish to see something." With a pout she turned back to face him and gave her approval of his request all while muttering under her breath wondering about what that 'something' could be. He reached for the door handle and turned it slowly before he stepped inside. The moment I saw him i could see the similarities between him and lady Mintaff starting with their large brunette eyes and black hair.

They even seemed to be similar in age, could they be twins perhaps? "Your names are Zia and Adam, correct?"

His eyes were filled with curiosity as he scanned our small frames before allowing his eyes to settle on our faces. I gave a small nod in answer just before his eyes lit up in a golden hue. Heaving a sigh when they returned to normal, he looked disappointed.

"He scanned you for magical potential but I blocked most of your power only allowing him to see you with normal human child abilities. As in showing one weak aptitude." The robotic voice sounded in my head before I ever even asked the question.