Chapter 19

Monica had been sleepover at my house every night for the last week. She's pretty much been living here. Every time we both thought about me leaving, we both just start balling. I can't even imagine not seeing my best friend everyday. We've been through so much together. She was by my side through the breakup, first days of school together, my first car accident, we even rode our bikes for the first time together. Now, I have to go through university without her. Yeah, we'll FaceTime and see each other over the holidays, but that's never the same. She was helping me load up the last boxes into my dad's truck. Then, we both stopped, stared, and started crying again. We pull each other into a long, sobby hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She exclaims.

"I'm going to miss you too." I reply.

"What am I suppose to do without you."

"Everything and anything. Then you can tell me all about it afterwards."

We manage to pull ourselves together and break away from the hugs. We both wipe our tears.

"So," she sniffles, "have you talked to Kaeden yet?"

"No actually. I haven't talked to him since the ceremony. He didn't even respond to my post about saying goodbye."

"Maybe he's too hurt."

"Monica I already told you. He said he didn't like me; he only saw me as a good friend."

"I know, but you guys have this different kind of connection. You two just clicked in an indescribable way. I just always thought he did, even if it was deep down inside." Just as we put the last few boxes into the cargo bed, we hear footsteps behind us. It was Kaeden. He was panting. It looked like he sprinted here.

"Good. I'm not too late." He gasps.

"I'm going to go inside and let your parents know the cars are loaded." Monica states as she veers for my front door.

"I lied to you that night." He mentions.

"What?" I ask.

"I lied. I lied when you asked if I had feelings for you now. I do. I do have feelings for you. I have liked you since Freshman year. Since we became partners on that socials project. You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met, and have the best personality anyone could ever ask for. And I would be a complete fool if I let you go to Duke without knowing that."

"Why are you telling me this now?" I start tearing up, my cheeks blushing.

"I was scared. I didn't want to start something, then just lose you in a couple of months." Why does every guy think they're going to lose me? Do they not know how loyal I am?

"I'm not some prize to lose."

"No, you're not. You're someone's world," we make eye contact, "maybe mine, maybe Todd's, maybe someone you haven't even met yet." My body takes over me. All the emotions overwhelm me and I have a sudden urge to walk over there and kiss him. Get lost in the moment with him, share a time where it doesn't even move. Melt away into a moment of happiness. But I don't.

"I have feelings for you too," I trail, "but I'm leaving." Tears start to fall.

"I know." He becomes teary eyed too.

"I can't. I can't kiss you. I can't be with you. I can't even think about you. No matter how much I want to, I can't let myself do that." I struggle to get out.

"I know." He responds. Then, he walks over to me and pulls me into a deep hug. We stand there for a few minutes. Not saying any words or thinking any thoughts. Time feels sped up, not frozen. He pulls away from me, plants a kiss on my forehead, then rests his head against mine. I stare at the ground, refusing to make eye contact. Our moment ends when my mom opens the door. We break away and look at her.

"It's time to go hun." I know she's been crying too. Her makeup is smudged and bags begin to form underneath her eyes. I give Kaeden one last hug and whisper,

"I won't forget you."

Monica then sprints out the door and leaps at me. We hug for a while before my dad makes his way outside too. He locks the door and makes his way to the truck. We say our lasts goodbyes and I get into my mom's car. Tears are flowing down my cheeks as we pull away from the driveway. I wave through the window and we make our way down the street. I look through the right-side mirror and make eye contact with Kaeden for the last time. I guess we'll always be the story that never happened. 

Turns out there's only two chapters, but that's a wrap on my first story! I'd appreciate any feedback and I am working on a new story... not sure how long until I start uploading that one, but stay tuned. Also, I will take any requests :)