22: "Shit in dad's stocking for me, yeah?"

The last day of school before Christmas break means distracted students and low productivity. I prop my feet up on the desk in Charms class, enchanting a piece of paper to fly around the room like a bird as I'm consumed with boredom.

"And then he says that he's busy," I say, finishing my story, "It's as if he only wants to hang out if we're hooking up."

"Then just put out," Marlene says like it's the most obvious solution to my problem. I give her a blank stare, and she sighs, "Look, the way I see it, you're lucky to have Borden. He's probably the hottest Gryffindor ever."

"Aw, thanks babe," Sirius says dryly as I snicker.

"But he's not gonna stay with you if you don't do stuff with him," she says, "He's seventeen, sex isn't a big deal for him. Honestly, sex isn't a big deal, period. More than half our year has had it, so it's not like you're too young."

What she's saying makes sense, but I still feel uneasy about the idea of losing my virginity to Marcus. I like him and all, but it's just not there for me.

"I just . . ." I trail off when I realize I'm gonna sound stupid, "nevermind."

"You just what?" Marlene presses, narrowing her eyes.

"I don't know." I shrug, lowering my voice, "I wanna lose my virginity to someone I love."

She bursts into laughter, and Dorcas hits her upside the head as I turn beet red.

"Leave the poor girl alone, look at her face!" Dorcas snickers, and I bury my face in my hand, feeling Sirius smiling at me. I glance up at him and glare.

"Think my sex life is funny?"

"Nope." He shrugs, "I think it's cute."

If possible, I turn an even deeper shade of red as I cover my face again.

"That's worse."

He chuckles, rolling up his sleeves and leaning in close as Marlene and Dorcas strike up a conversation.

"Ignore Marlene, she's a slut, anyway," he says lowly, and I scoff.

"Hey, I heard that!" Marlene calls, but she seems unbothered.

"You're dating her," I answer Sirius, and he just shrugs, leaning back and winking at me as I groan.

"Look, Cass," Dorcas says, "If you aren't comfortable with your man, then you gotta cut it off before it gets too far. Do you see yourself falling in love with him?"

I glance at Sirius and wish I hadn't, as he looks way too invested in my answer.

"I don't know," I say, then sigh, "Probably not."

"And you both want different things, so cut him off." She begins putting stuff in her bag, again making the solution to my problem sound super simple.

I glance at Sirius again, and he just shrugs, looking smug as I rake my fingers through my dark, tangled, mess of hair. He laughs breathily, and I roll my eyes, punching him in the shoulder as Flitwick dismisses us and the class cheers for the break.

"Excited to return to the beloved household for Christmas?" I ask Sirius as I fall into step next to him, and he just laughs.

"What, like I'm going there if I don't have to."

I raise an eyebrow, "So what's the plan, then?"

"Well," he says, lighting a cigarette in the middle of the crowded hallway like the dumbass he is, "usually I head over to James's, but considering he's going on a trip to Hawaii, I've decided to retire to ye ol' castle."