30.5) 4th of July [Part 2]

Breathe. Hold your breath. Think. Don’t think about it. Open your eyes. Keep your eyes closed. Listen. Drown out the sound. Run. Stay in place. Panic. Stay calm.

You can do this.

You’re doomed.

Doomed!

Those were my final thoughts as I closed my eyes and took my few last deep breaths before my heals clicked up the wooden stairs and then onto the smallish stage in the back of the yard where everybody has gathered. The stars were shining brightly in the sky as everybody watched me intently. My heals were the only thing making a sound, at least it was the only sound that was making it to my ears as I made my way to the microphone standing tauntingly in the middle of the stage. I was wearing a white strapless dress that we had bought at the Sherri Hill store at the mall. It came down to about mid-thigh and on the top, the dress was covered with a golden design, under a thin golden belt, the dress flowed with sheer white, but sprinkled with golden dots. It was gorgeous to say the least.

I reached up and gripped the microphone, taking one last deep, really deep breath before flicking the ‘on’ switch and preparing to talk, knowing that my voice was going to boom across the vast audience of waiting people.

“Um, h-hi.” I croaked into the small microphone. The only way to get through this was to tell myself that they weren’t there. I was only talking to one person. Jackson, my dad, Kale, Libby, Andy, anybody. Just not everybody.

“So, I, uh, I got blackmailed into doing this. So when your ears start to bleed, you can blame that on Jackson.” I said, not joking, yet the people in front of me laughed.

My brain chose that moment to start wondering about stupid things. I wondered if Taylor Swift was there, because I was about sing her songs. What about Selena Gomez? Or Katy Perry? Okay, I wasn't singing Katy Perry, but still!

These questions drove me crazy until I had to take another deep breath to calm myself down, even though I couldn’t stop my heart from threatening to beat out of my chest.

I gripped my guitar in my hands and found the beat to my first song in my head and closed my eyes. I went back to about a week ago when Kale was out on his balcony, singing to me in the middle of the night. That made me smile and it helped me push through. If he could do that, I surely could do this… right?

Before my mind could decide that I was ready, my fingers were streaming to the first song that I was going to play.

Put your lips close to mine,
as long as they don't touch.
Out of focus, eye to eye,
'till the gravity's too much.

And I'll do anything you say,
if you say it with your hands.
And I’d be smart to walk away,
but your quicksand.

This slope is treacherous,
this path is reckless.
This slope is treacherous and
I, I, I like it.

As the song continued, my nerves were dissolving, just slightly, but I quickly got lost in the music. I didn’t dare look up at the people before me, listening silently as I sang the new Taylor Swift song.

Two headlights shine through the sleepless night,
and I will get you, get you alone.
Your name has echoed through my mind

and I just think you should, think you should know
that nothing safe is worth the drive and
I will follow you, follow you home.

I'll follow you, follow you home.

This slope is treacherous I, I, I like it.