27. Gifts Everywhere

Prince Jian was surprised with Ruyi's sudden reaction.

"What happened Ruyi, did you see a nightmare?"

Ruyi was still scared and didn't want to release Jian from her grip at any cost. Last night's incident was still fresh in her mind and she was silently sobbing in pain.

"Just look at me Ruyi. Everything is alright, I'm here with you. Nobody can dare to scare you when I am here." Jian comforted Ruyi as he thought she might have seen a nightmare.

"But it's you who scare me, Jian. It's the thought of you leaving me forever that scares me", Ruyi thought staring at Jian with her moist eyes.

Jian smiled looking at his wife and slightly slipped a few strands of her raven hair back in place. "Will you celebrate my birthday like this ?"

Ruyi almost forgot about his birthday and decided to fill her heart by making beautiful memories with Jian. The Emperor already told her the truth after Mi-sook. He even apologised to Ruyi for getting her wed to a person who won't be able to live long. She quickly wiped her tears and gave Jian a soft peck on his cheek. "Happy Birthday to you, my love."

"Thank You! My lady. I will be waiting for you for breakfast, come soon".

As Jian left the room, Ruyi's eyes were brimming with tears. "I have to fill his last days with happiness. I know it won't be easy for me, but my sufferings are nothing in front of his sufferings. This is what destiny has decided for us separation, grief and pain for a lifetime."

"But I'll make sure to live these days with happiness and joy with you. After you are gone, these memories will become my reason to live for the rest of my days. I don't know how long I would survive without you." Ruyi wept in pain clutching her hands near her heart.

As Jian came out of his chamber every staff of the palace wished him. He went to the breakfast hall, and the King and Queen were already there. They both hugged their son and gave their blessings to him.

Jian looked at his mother in shock. "Mother, why are your eyes swollen?"

"Nothing son, your mother just got emotional last night for your birthday," answered the King.

The King and Queen both were going through sharp pangs in their hearts but somehow they decorated their faces by putting on a mask of fake smiles.

As Ruyi arrived they all had their breakfast. Jian shared his desire to offer poor people of Noam with silver coins and clothes on his birthday with his father. The King felt delighted by his desire to help poor people and appreciated him. "Your wish is granted, my son," said the King.

After some time, Ruyi decided to show him the gift she prepared for him. She blindfolded Jian's eyes and held his hand to lead the way.

She removed the blindfold from Jian's eyes and he saw a portrait covered with a paper. Being impatient he rushed to uncover the portrait and finally saw the beautiful gift. Ruyi was looking at him and smiling on seeing him so impatient.

It was a portrait of Jian and Ruyi sitting on the horse staring at each other with love. Jian felt a happiness rush through him. He felt his love grow for his wife, he rushed over Ruyi and hugged her."It's beautiful just like you. I didn't know my wife was also a good artist. Thank you so much for this lovely gift." Jian embraced Ruyi in his arms and closed his eyes feeling relaxed.

"You are my gift Ruyi, the best gift till now. I always feel relaxed and relieved whenever you are around me, I need you like fresh air to breathe and you are precious to me," mumbled Jian while inhaling the sweet scent of Ruyi.

Meanwhile, Si-ri was busy opening her gifts given to her by her father. Lord Yong could not spend much time with Si-ri as the condition of Prince Jian caused chaos in the palace. He was sure that Mi-sook would go an extra mile to convince the Queen to kill Si-ri and for this they will surely come to catch him. He can't take risks at this crucial point when his daughter is on the verge of being killed by even a single mistake.

"Your mother wanted to give this as your eighteenth birthday gift. During her last days, she used to stitch this dress for you as she knew she didn't have much time. She said to me wrapping this dress, 'I won't be there to see our daughter growing up to be a pretty lady but I'll make sure to be with her as a blessing. This dress may look like a mere piece of cloth but it has my heart, my blessing and my immense love for my child'. Wiping her tears, she managed to put a smile on her face and mustered some words, 'I know my Si-ri will surely look beautiful in this dress.'"

She hugged the dress to her heart and sobbed in pain, tears streaming down her face. Si-ri recalled her father's words and his moist eyes while talking about her mother.

Si-ri wiped her tears and opened the gift. Si-ri was smiling, perhaps 'smile' won't be the right word for it. However it was a sign of bliss.

"It's so beautiful. It has an amalgamation of my favourite colour palette."

Si-ri picked that up and turned the dress over in her hands, letting her eyes roam freely over every stitch so lovingly made. "It still has the fragrance of mother, '' said Si-ri with a smile. She wore the dress and she indeed looked as beautiful as a flower. She then walked outside and sat there occupied in her thoughts.

"At this age, a birthday is a quiet day. Those were the happy days when both my mother and father used to celebrate my birthday. The whole mansion echoed with our laughter, it was soothing. Next year I will be a free and normal person, who can roam around, make friends and do anything then I'll celebrate my birthday with my friends."