eleven

'Why is she so grumpy?' Mingi asks innocently.

'I heard from Hongjoong that she's actually from the capital as well.' Wooyoung whispers to the other two.

Seonghwa nods and sighs. Her reaction isn't just her being childish, he could see the seriousness in her eyes.

'It's fine, she can stay on the ship while we go. She already has citizenship anyways.' Mingi says and Wooyoung nods.

'She's always banging on about wanting an extreme job, but now she's throwing a tantrum!' Wooyoung exclaims as always.

'Yah guys stop gossiping about her.' Hongjoong says, and waves for Seonghwa to go to him.

Seonghwa looks at the girl who's sitting at the front of the ship again, with a beer, and not answering to anyone who called for her.

He turns around after sighing and follows Hongjoong into his office.

'What's up?' Seonghwa asks as he sits on Hongjoong table while the other walks around in front of him.

'We need Jennie for this mission.' Hongjoong says and sighs, leaning against the door as he looks up and thinks. 'I was rarely in the capital when I lived there since my dad is also a pirate. But Jen grew up and there, and knows everything about the bad people in the capital.'

Seonghwa looks to the captain curious.

'How does she know so much?'

'When my dad found her, she was almost beaten to death. It's also why she doesn't want to return there. I don't know what she's done there, but she clearly has a lot of enemies.' Hongjoong says and starts walking around again.

'How can I convince her?' Seonghwa asks desperately.

'I don't know. She also keeps a lot to herself and is unpredictable. I think you should try and ask her. She doesn't like opening up to us, we've tried.' Hongjoong explains, and Seonghwa nods.

'I'll try.'

Hongjoong smiles reassuringly to the prince, patting his back as he goes to sit next to him on the table.

'Jennie might seem unfriendly, but she's actually a nice person. I've noticed she has opened up to you quicker than she did for us. Lucky you.' Hongjoong says and Seonghwa feels warmed.

'Is that meant to mean anything?'

'I don't know. Maybe you're just good with people, everyone likes you on the ship, even treating you like a brother.' Hongjoong replies.

'I've never had so many friends before, as you might know, the palace is a shady place.' Seonghwa says and sighs.

'Just saying, if you ever want to quit the royalty life, this ship will always welcome you.' Hongjoong says and smiles. 'My father made me promise when he gave me this ship, that I'd help people who're alone. Everyone out there was first alone, but we found each other, forming a family. It might sound cliche, but they're really my family.'

Seonghwa smiles, knowing how genuinely those guys care for each other despite the bickering. For once, he felt the warmth of being in a family, despite the many years in the cold palace.

For once, he felt alive.

'Thanks for being kind to me.' Seonghwa says honestly.

Hongjoong smiles.

'I don't want to get beheaded your highness, that's why.' Hongjoong jokes and Seonghwa chuckles.

'Don't worry, I can't wait to behead you all when we get on land.' Seonghwa jokes and Hongjoong chuckles.

'We all can't wait for that.'

...

Seonghwa yet again is sleepless. He gets up from his bed and goes to the kitchen. As he walks past the door to the dock, he sees the girl still at the front of the ship, drinking her beer.

He knows it must've been her seventh cup now.

He goes out to the girl, and sees her cheeks already blushed.

'Hey...' Seonghwa says and sits next to her.

'What do you want?' She asks with a cold tone. Seonghwa sighs seeing her so annoyed.

'You okay?' Seonghwa asks softly. The girl feels flustered by his gentle voice.

She's not used to someone as gentle as him on the ship, since the others all treat her like a guy.

'Do I look okay to you?' She asks and he sighs. He takes off his jacket again and puts it on her.

She looks at him with a complexed look.

'Do you always give your jackets to people?' Jennie says and raises an eyebrow. Seonghwa couldn't help but smile seeing her flushed cheeks.

'No, just drunk girls.' Seonghwa jokes.

'I'm not drunk you know, just a little tipsy.' Jennie says and drinks more beer. Seonghwa chuckles.

'You kind telling me why you've been drinking non stop?' Seonghwa asks the girl. She pouts unconsciously.

'You're purposely asking me why I'm tipsy aren't you?' Jennie says and Seonghwa smirks.

'Maybe. Is it gonna work?' Seonghwa asks.

Jennie looks out into the ocean waves again.

'You're lucky I'm feeling sentimental.'

Jennie sighs and puts down her beer. She hugs her legs in her arms and rests her chin on her knee.

'I lost someone close to me in the capital. And my reputation isn't very good there.' Jennie says hesitantly.

'Is this why you don't want to go back?' Seonghwa asks curiously and looks at the girl, who is obviously pained by recalling her last memories.

'I just don't want to go back there. I'm sorry.' Jennie says and could feel tears threatening to leave her eyes.

'It's okay. I get it. It's not a place I love either, but I have to go back, being a prince and all...' Seonghwa says and sighs.

'What's it like?' Jennie says and looks to him.

'The king is alright, but the second queen is just the typical stepmom but worse. She obviously wants the second prince to inherit the throne.' He explains. It's common knowledge in the palace.

'What is the second prince like?'

'We're close. He's like a real brother to me, and one of the few people I trust in there.' He says, smiling as he recalls his silliness.

'He seems nice.' Jennie says.

'What about you? Do you have family?'

It's a sensitive topic, but Jennie choose to talk about it.

'I used to live with my dad in the capital. My mum left us after she cheated on my dad. I was satisfied with just us two.'

'Where is he now?' Seonghwa asks, but soon regrets what he asks as he didn't think before asking.

'He's dead.'