14

~Ophelia's POV~

I crawled out of bed on Friday morning, stumbling to my feet before I headed into my bathroom for my everyday morning routine before school. Pee, shower, shave, and then get out to begin getting ready.

Wrapped in a towel and my hair still damp down my back, I plopped down in my vanity chair and began to put on my makeup. After I'd finished everything and had popped a pair of false lashes, I went into the bathroom to blow dry my hair since it was still a little bit damp. Once dry, I hung up my towel before heading to my dresser to pick out some undergarments.

Now that I had my bra and underwear on, I walked into my closet to pick out what I wanted to wear, making sure to check the time on the clock hung on the wall. Thankfully, I wasn't running behind schedule, so there was no need to fret.

After I looked through my clothes hung up in my closet, I eventually got dressed in a white long sleeved cardigan that buttoned up in the front and was cropped. The skirt I had on was a deep green with white flowers and it reached down to a little above my knees, with a little bit of my left thigh showing since it was a wrap around style skirt. For shoes, I just put on some white heeled sandals and tied my hair up in a bun on my head. It was a rather comfy yet cute outfit and I was happy with it.

Once I spritzed on some perfume and put on my deodorant, I checked my reflection in the mirror before grabbing my backpack off the floor and leaving the house. Humming to myself, I walked down the sidewalk to the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive to take me to school.

**

I could not find Saniya anywhere.

When I had walked into the building after I got off of the bus, I'd expected to see her. It was pretty common that she would come running up to me once I got here, but she hadn't this time, so I had gone looking around to try to find her. However, she was nowhere to be found. None of our friends had seen her either, so I assumed maybe she wasn't here today.

It wasn't until I had my free period before lunch when I was absolutely certain that she had missed school today, as she wasn't there. Maybe she's sick at home.

Frowning, I walked down the steps into the student lounge area, sitting down by myself at one of the tables. It hadn't really occurred to me that I would be stuck sitting here on my own if Saniya was absent, but I was realizing now that it really sucked. It felt lonely and far too quiet. I wanted some company.

As if the man could hear my thoughts right then, Luke suddenly plopped down into the chair beside me and I immediately decided I didn't want this company. "Where's your friend?" He hummed as he turned towards me in his seat, a slightly mocking tone to his voice. I just shrugged, biting my lip as I glanced over at him. "Why are you sitting here?" I mumbled, frowning. He shrugged his shoulders, leaning in closer towards me. "Because your friend isn't here to tell me to stay away from you." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

I rolled my eyes with a huff and raised a brow at him, frowning. "Just because Saniya isn't here doesn't mean I magically want you to sit and talk with me." I reminded him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"It's funny that you really think that that's going to deter me, gorgeous." He remarked, an amused glint in his eyes. The nickname had a weird affect on me, making my cheeks warm, but I was lucky enough that he couldn't see it because of the fact that I was wearing makeup. If he had seen it, I'd be mortified. I wasn't supposed to be blushing and swooning when he called me gorgeous, or when he complimented me. He's a player and I knew that, but I was weak hearted. It was easy to make me blush.

"Yeah, I know it's not going to. Nothing in the world could do that, apparently." I mumbled, looking down at the surface of the table.

He chuckled and placed a hand on the back of my chair while the other rested on his thigh, a sly smile on his face as he leaned in so close to me that I could feel the warmth of his breath fanning my cheek. I whipped my head in his direction and choked on my own breath as our noses brushed, peering up at him in surprise. "You shouldn't play so hard to get, Ophelia. We both know you secretly like it when I pester you." He teased, grinning wickedly.

I gaped at him, clenching my shaking hands into fists as I shook my head enthusiastically. "I-I'm not playing hard to get! And I don't like it, either!" I denied, biting my lip. He just snorted and gave me a look that clearly said I don't believe that even for a second. "Don't look at me like that." I huffed, placing my hands in my lap. "You think I'm playing hard to get but I just don't want to be friends." I sighed, glancing over at him to meet his gaze. He still didn't look like he believed me, that or he just didn't care what I said.

"Why not?" He asked instead of insisting otherwise, narrowing his eyes at me. "Give me a legitimate reason as to why we can't be friends, other than the fact that Saniya hates me. Although I still don't think that is a reason." He said, waiting patiently for me to answer.

And if I'm being honest, I had to pause to think of a reason.

"I don't want to be involved with you, Luke. You play with girls and then break their hearts." I answered. "Besides, you were the one who said you didn't want to be friends with me." I added, raising a brow at him.

Luke smirked. "Aw, you remembered." He said playfully, making me roll my eyes. I looked him in the face, frowning. "You don't know how to take a hint, clearly." I said, hoping to put him off of me. I didn't understand why he was so insistent on pestering me all the time, no matter where or when. "Oh?" He chuckled. "I think I disagree. I'm great at taking hints. That's why I'm here." He retorted, making me narrow my eyes at him. Was he insinuating that I secretly liked him being around?

"You're delusional." I whispered. He grinned. "And you want to be friends with me, don't you?" He asked, cocking his head to the side. Something about the action, combined with his grin, was boyish and...fucking adorable.

What happened to avoiding him, Ophelia? Why are you thinking he's adorable?

"No." I said, but I knew we both hadn't missed the way I had hesitated before answering. That just made him grin wider, looking rather playful. "You really need to work on your lying." He said, making me scowl at him.

"Ophelia," He began, surprising me when he placed his hand that was on his thigh on my knee. I froze at the warmth of his hand on my skin, gazing at him as his face came closer again. I found myself holding my breath, full of tension. "There's nothing wrong with us getting to know each other." He murmured, making me frown slightly. "You really wanna let someone else dictate who is in your life, gorgeous?" He added, raising a brow at me. It wasn't condescending, just genuinely curious.

I bit my lip and saw his eyes flick down to my mouth, paying close attention as I released my lip and felt a blush creep up my neck. "No." I admitted quietly, forcing out the word. Was that truly what I was doing?

Suddenly, he smiled a little. "Then don't." He said simply.

Staring him in his handsome face, I frowned and found myself fisting the fabric of my skirt in my hands, bunching it up. "You mean...you want to be friends?" I asked quietly, lowering my head a little as I peered up at him. He studied me for a moment and then hummed, removing his hand from my knee. "Why not?" He shrugged, giving me a charming grin.

The sight of his grin made my heart pound a little faster. I wasn't used to people so charming. It was unfair. Even so, I smiled at him a little and nodded my head, loosening my hold on the fabric of my skirt. "Okay." I said quietly. "Then we'll be friends." I agreed.

And maybe it was stupid of me, but I found myself feeling a little excited—happy to be making another new friend.