Chapter Fifteen: Assumptions Are For Idiots

What do you do? What do you say? Do you cry? Scream? Laugh? Or do you just do nothing? Do you panic and run out of the room? Live the life of a coward or bare a soul full of courage? Nothing is more scary.

Time seemed to freeze in that moment. Her plump, pink lips gaped at not only me, but Andrew. Her green eyes scanned the scene, and I had never felt so vulnerable.

The man beside her, my father, had eyes deep enough that you could jump into them. The once hazel orbs had turned into murky brown pools.

The smaller version of my dad stood on the opposite side of my mother: my brother. I guess I couldn't really call him the 'smaller version,' now. He was nearly my dad's height. He was quite the dominating character, but still had the somewhat chubby face of a little boy.

"Alex?" I hadn't realized who said my name first. I still don't know. The name burned my ears and made my heart pound faster than usual.

The air in the room felt thick as if you could swim in it. My whole body was tense, and no one seemed quite sure what to do or say. I didn't know what to do or say.

"Greyson?" I questioned swiftly. His eyes shot to mine as he was most likely feeling the amount of pressure in the room that I was. "Why-"

"Alex?" A voice interrupted. My throat felt dry as my mother's feet slowly dragged their way across the floor. "Is that really you?" Her voice was so strained, I just wanted to hold her and tell her everything was alright, so that's what I did.

I took two large steps and wrapped my arms around her. I pulled her against me and listened to her sob on my shoulder as I rubbed my hand up and down her back.

"Yeah, mom. It's me." My voice cracked as I spoke. I peered up from her shoulder to focus on the people in the doorway.

My dad watched my mother and I as a tear trailed down his cheek, but that wasn't what caught my attention. It was the fact that my brother stared wide-eyed at the brown haired spitfire beside him. The look of shock and horror on Karissa's face made my heart shatter. Instantly, I knew why they were looking at each other. It was because a certain magical connection that I shared with Greyson that could make you so entranced with one person that it felt as if you two were the only people in the room. I guess our assumptions of Dylan and her had been wrong. I felt like everything was just starting to come together and now everything was starting to fall apart. You could tell just how much Karissa didn't want the bond.

"Mom," I said quickly, not noticing any other tension in the room besides Karissa and my brother. "I want you to meet someone, but only you: in private." I said as I stared at Karissa. My mom pulled away. We looked at each other. She nodded anxiously, and then looked at my brother and father. My dad nodded as well, and exited. My brother was a bit more hesitant, but left with Greyson and Andrew with one last glance at Karissa.

Once the door was closed, everything just felt..different. Like nothing was real.

I sat down in Greyson's office chair as my mom and Karissa sat in the two chairs in front of the desk. My throat was like a desert and my stomach was set ablaze.

"Mom, I-" I was about to continue, but was cut off.

"Why?" my mom blurted out. My heart felt like it had stopped beating at that moment. I licked my lips and shook my head.

"Trust me, I did it for myself, and I'm glad I had," I said with much less confidence than I had hoped for. She nodded as a tear trailed down her cheek. "Mom, I really need to ask you some stuff. I'm really sorry this is so abrupt, but I'm kind of in a haze right now with all of this," I shot out quickly. She nodded, and I continued.