The Letter (Potterlock/Parentlock)

All rights of Harry Potter go to JK Rowling BTW! If ya don't like Harry Potter, don't read the chapter!

"Da! Dad! I got post!" Hamish Watson-Holmes called from the living room. Sherlock popped his head up from his paper.

"It's Sunday. There's no post on Sundays." He said, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. John hurried into the room and saw the small letter with the red wax seal.

"This kind does." He murmured and snatched it up. He examined it, spinning it around in his hands, prodding at it, even sniffing it!

"Dad, may I have it back?" Hamish asked, looking up at his father with big blue eyes. John hesitated.

"Hamish, I have to tell you something... Sherlock, you too." he let out a heavy sigh.

"John, what's going on?" They all sat down at their own armchairs. Hamish's was still a bit big for him, making him seem to disappear into the cushions.

"When we first met, Sher, I thought it was perfect. A man so caught up in science and fact that he wouldn't even look at the bloody solar system!" John chuckled. Sherlock and Hamish still watched intently. He went on. "You see, you never really deduced it from me. Probably because I kept this side of me very well hidden. I, well, um, how do I start something like this?"

"Are you safe?" Sherlock asked.

"Oh! Oh yes, without a doubt. No worries there. In fact, more than safe! I am more than capable. But... well you could say that I'm not normal. Hell, you could bring up the fact that I'm not human..."

Hamish and Sherlock stared at him inquizically. So much alike. Yet, John had seen over the years that Hamish was just as much like John.

"Let me just say it right out. I'm a wizard." John sucked in a deep breath. Sherlock and Hamish both just raised their eyebrows.

"John/Da, are you alright?" the two said at the same time. John groaned and walked over into the kitchen, opening up the tea cupboard and there saw two sticks. But they were no ordinary sticks. Two wands. To be precise, Lignum Vitae wood, 16 inches, and essence of Dragon's Whisker with a Macassar Ebony wand, 15 1/4 inches, and essence of Serpent Scale. John pulled out the Ebony and pointed it at Hamish's chair. Easiest spell in the book. He smirked and said "Wingardium Leviosa." and up went the chair, rising up towards the ceiling as John pointed his wand higher.

Hamish was in shock. Sherlock looked confused.

"How are you doing that?" Sherlock asked, watching him carefully.

"Magic, Sherlock, you should learn how to believe in it. And Hamish... Well he already does. I've seen what you've done with the flowers for that girl, Hammy." John smiled as he placed his son down on the ground. Hamish's face turned bright red.

"N-no one was around though!"

John tapped his wand to his head. "Magic."

With that, Hamish knew his father was telling the truth. And he didn't feel so lonely and scared that he wasn't the only one able to do these things. He grinned widely.

Sherlock was the tricky one. But that was expected. He didn't really believe it until a few weeks later.

"Sherlock! Come on, time to go to Diagon Alley!" John was ecstatic at the thought of entering his homeworld again. He did leave it for good reason, how else do you think he got that wound that has now long scarred? He was an auror, but wanted a relaxing life. Falling in love with his flat mate was the best thing to have ever happened! But he did miss it at times.

The tall man soon walked into the room, tightening his scarf, and opened the door. John and Hamish both stood at the fireplace. "Well? Are we not going?" Sherlock asked, bewildered.

"Yes, but we're taking a special way to get there. Sherlock, you're going first to prove to Hamish that it doesn't hurt. Then he'll go. Then me to make sure he does it correctly." John explained, holding a small wooden bowl that held some sort of green ash.

"John, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Floo power network!" John exclaimed ecstatically. Sherlock had learned not to question this 'magic' business and went along with whatever was said.

"What do I do?" He sighed, stepping towards them. John smiled and picked up a small bit of powder.

"Alright. Take a small pinch like I did." Sherlock did just so. "Now step into the fireplace."

Sherlock glanced at the fireplace. The opening was less than half his height. "John, I don't exactly fit."

John rolled his eyes and pushed Sherlock into it. The second Sherlock's hand went into the fireplace, the whole opening widened and grew taller to fit Sherlock in perfectly.

Sherlock's eyes widened. Okay... maybe John was right. There's no way this could be normal. He thought to himself.

"Now what?" Sherlock asked and gulped.

John planted his feet firmly and raised the hand holding the powder. "You're going to do this and say Diagon Alley, then throw the powder at the ground. Like this." And he played out what Sherlock was to do.

The consulting detective nodded, more nervous than he had ever been, and raised the ash in his hand. "Diagon Alley!" He said clearly and precisely, then tossed the ash at the ground. Immediately Sherlock felt himself being lift off the ground and thrown in all sorts of directions. Yet, just as fast, he had landed. There he stood, in the fireplace of what could only be described as a pub! He made a face and stepped out. A few seconds later? A green flame shot at the corner of his eye and he spun around. Hamish stood behind him. He held out his arms and Hamish jumped into them.

"Dad! That was amazing!" Hamish grinned ear to ear as Sherlock lifted him up. Just then? John appeared as well.

The auror sniffed the air and looked around. "Ah, home sweet home! Welcome, my loves, to the Leaky Cauldron!"

Sherlock and Hamish were still staring in awe at the sight before them. Besides the fact that it looked like a normal pub, there were people dressed in normal outfits (as well as some odd ones) and some held wands in their hands or in their pockets or laid beside them. Like how people these days are with phones. There was even a man reading a book and swirling his spoon around his cup... without touching it.

John moved them both forwards and outside, where more people bustled about. John rummaged around in his bag a moment before pulling out the letter for Hamish. "Equipment list!"

Hamish was still in awe at it all, going through store after store to gather books, his uniform (he had on his new scarf immediately), and all of his other supplies. Then, at last, they came upon the store Hamish had been waiting for. Ollivander's Wand Shop. He bounced with excitement as they walked inside. One other family was in there. A girl with her parents. She was just getting her wand wrapped up. When she saw Hamish standing there she smiled.

"Hello! I'm Hermione Granger." She held out her hand. He was slightly taken aback at her outgoingness but smiled back and shook her hand.

"Hamish Watson-Holmes." He replied, "Are you a first year too?"

She nodded. "Yes I am! Hopefully I'll see you there!" and with that she skipped out with her parents. Hamish was still grinning ear to ear, especially as he stepped forward to get his own wand.

Hi, you guys! Happy Holidays, first of all! Wanted to post up a chapter but didn't want to get too long! I will do a continuation of this if you want, but I need you to comment and tell me you want more! And give me other ideas too!! Thank you! And thank you guys so much for reading!

~Una