Yule-Time (Potterlock/Parentlock Continuation)

"H-H-Hermione?" Hamish stepped towards the poofy-haired girl. Ever since their first year, since the first time he talked to her, he had had a crush on her. Now, four years later, he could say that it was love. What better way to confess his love than at the Yule Ball?

"Oh, hi Hammy!" She smiled brightly at the sight of him.

He blushed brighter. "I, um, so the Yule Ball, eh?"

Her smile turned almost sad then. "Yeah. A big load of skrewt dung if you ask me."

He gulped. "W-why do you think that?"

"Well...." she thought a moment. "Hamish, we've known each other for years now. I trust you..." she sat down, patting the seat beside her. He hurriedly sat. She continued, "Well, you know how close Ron and I are as well. And last year I noticed that... I think I really like him, Hamish."

His heart and soul dropped immediately, his giddiness and excitement now sadness and even a bit of anger. Hamish had always been the one there for Hermione. There when she needed a shoulder to cry on, or someone to just talk to. She even told him herself, he was one of a kind. He loved her for that. But of course, it wasn't enough, so it seemed! Ron Weasley would always be the one to come on top. He sneered internally at that particular thought

But, as the great friend he is, he kept on with the conversation. "Why is the Ball dung then?"

"He doesn't notice me!" She exclaimed. "I have tried every way to hint that I like him, that I want him to ask me. But he doesn't see it!"

Hamish sighed. "You could just ask him yourself, 'Mio."

She let out a deep breath and shook her head. "No.. it isn't the same."

Hamish then sucked in a breath and sped out the next few words in a rush. "Youcouldalwaysgowithmeandtrytomakehimjealous."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What was that?"

He spoke slower. "You could always, you know, go with me. To make him jealous."

Now she just looked confused. "Hamish, aren't you asking a.... boy to the Ball?"

He made a face. "Erm, no. Why?"

"But... you're not gay?"

"No!" His eyes widened at the thought. "Why would you think that? Not that being gay is a bad thing, but I'm not!"

She groaned, mostly in embarrassment for them both and ran her fingers through her hair. "I can just talk so well with you. And you know how a woman's mind works. Which not even most women know themselves! And you know the man's mind just as well. Normal boys don't really know that."

"My father is Sherlock Holmes, Hermione Granger. Of course I know the ways of the mind." He mumbled. "Sorry, 'Mio. I gotta go." He stood then and walked off, leaving her sitting in confusion. Hamish quickly and silently retreated to his room, the one he shared with Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Seamus Finnegan. Slowly he opened the door, hoping desperately that he'd be the only one.

Seamus lay on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. Hamish was at least thankful that Harry nor Ron were there. "Hey, Seamus." Hamish said, walking in and closing the door, taking a seat on his own bed.

"Wha-? Oh, oh hey Hamish."

"What're ya doing?" Watson-Holmes asked, playing with the hem of his blankets.

"Thinking... Mostly about the Ball. You?"

"Same. Girls are frustrating." He flopped backwards.

Seamus snorted. "Glad I don't deal with 'em."

Hamish glanced over. "You're...?"

Hamish could hear the smile in the other boy's voice. "Yeah."

He nodded. "Cool... er, anyone in particular?"

Seamus gulped loudly. "Yeah. But they don't like me. You asking anyone to the Ball?"

"She doesn't like me. Don't think I'll be going then."

Seamus nodded and sat up. Hamish did too. The Irish boy spoke first. "She?"

"Yeah, I know. Surprising for you too?" Hamish scoffed.

"I, um, a bit."

Hamish nodded and laid back down. Yes, he had been curious. But for years he had really liked Hermione. Now he saw that it was pointless. Heh, might as well test around then. Since people all think you're gay. Hamish thought.

"Do you only go for girls?" Seamus asked.

"I've been curious about guys. Never really got the chance to test it out." Hamish replied. The boy was clueless, too upset over Hermione still to really notice Seamus' look of hope.

"Mate, the Ball is mandatory, right? Unless we're sick, since we're Harry's friends?" Seamus asked. Another nod from Hamish. "Cool."

~~~

One week later, it was time for the ball. Hamish's fathers had sent him dress robes to wear. They were a deep mahogany colour, contrasting with the black and white shirt and pants and matched with his bowtie. The music played brightly, the Champions Waltz was commencing. And Hamish sat alone in a corner, watching Hermione in all her beauty dance with Victor Krum, and soon everyone else began to join in. He saw Ron, not paying any attention to Hermione and became a bit angry.

But his mind was changed when suddenly a body stood in front of him.

"You seem sad." Seamus said, holding a hand out to Hamish. "Come on, hop up and dance."

Then Hamish perked up, he saw the gleam in Seamus' eyes. It clicked. The sped up beat quickly shifted into something slightly slower and easier to dance to. Hamish smiled and took Seamus' hand. Together the two of them walked to the middle of the floor, one of the few couplets that held two dress robes instead of a dress robe and dress match.

Hamish's hand moved to Seamus' shoulder, while Seamus' went to Hamish's waist. The Irish boy began leading Hamish around the room in the waltz. Both of them were smiling like loons, laughing when the other would step on their feet, or if they'd bump into someone. They had so much fun! Hell, they had danced the night away. Before they knew it, the final song was over. They both glanced around then, seeing that already near everyone had left. Only Neville and Ginny danced.

"Tonight was amazing." Hamish grinned. "Thank you... I needed that."

Seamus grinned back. "So did I. Thank you." Then he looked down, licked his lips, seeming as if trying to make up his mind. Quick as a snake he darted out and planted a kiss on Hamish's cheek. "We could do this a bit more, you know."

Hamish blushed, smiling a bit wider. "Seamus... meet me at the Quidditch field tomorrow at sunset? Under the Gryffindor stands?"

"It's a date." Seamus grinned and then, hand in hand, they walked back to their dorm room.

DID YOU GUYS LIKE THE THING??? I THOUGHT THIS WAS ADORABLE. I CAN DO MORE. COMMENT FOR MORE, BUT DON'T FORGET THERE ARE OTHER IDEAS FOR ONE SHOTS THAT I CAN DO. LOVE YOU GUYS.

~Una