Chapter Four: Her

Daniel's perspective

I am the Alpha of the Silver Lake pack. I have been Alpha since my dad died three years ago. I was seventeen when he passed. I'm twenty years old now.

My pack has been planning an attack on the rogue pack that is near us. Today is the day we are going to attack.

Tell the fighters to get up and get ready. We leave in an hour. I mindlinked to my beta, Jason.

Yes sir.

One hour later.

My pack and I are on our way to invade the Rogues when I hear gunshots. Instead of causing me to shy away from the attack it makes me run faster. As I'm running, I pick up a glorious smell. It smells like a summer rain storm. Then I smell blood and a growl rips through me.

I run as fast as I can. My fighters immediately get into action, pouncing on the first rogues they see, while I go in search of the smell's host. My wolf keeps yelling MATE! I am frantically tracking the scent when I come across a girl, maybe 18 or 19 years old, in just a white t-shirt stained with blood and a bullet in her chest. Laying next to her is a dead teenager, about her age. Her whole body is covered in bruises. Especially her face which holds a black eye, a split lip and bruised cheek. My heart breaks at the sight. My eyes make contact with hers and I hear her heart flutter. And it doesn't beat again.

HAVE THE PACK DOCTOR READY WHEN I GET BACK TO THE PACK HOUSE! I scream into the mindlink I hold with my Beta. I rush to her side and shift into my human form as pick up her bloody body and run as fast as my legs will carry me back to the pack house.

When I get there, the pack doctor quickly herds me into an all white room and tells me to set her down on the bed and leave the room. Nurses rush to her side and start following orders that the doctor is giving. I reluctantly leave the room.

I'm pacing the hallway. My mind working at a hundred miles per hour thinking about my mate.

The silence is interrupted by the doctor coming out of her room.

"Alpha, we were able to get her heart working again and the bullet in her chest out, but due to the placement of where she was shot and her previous injuries including a cracked skull and some brain swelling, she is in a very bad state causing her to be in a coma." He explains with obvious sadness.

"When will she wake up?" I ask.

"It could be anytime, a day, a week, a month, 4 months. Or maybe never."

I fall to my knees and out my head in my hands. This cannot be happening!