Prolouge

“…and these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they’re going through…” – David Bowie

“Saturday, March 24, 1984, Shermer Highschool, Shermer, Illinois, 60062… Dear Mr. Vernon. We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong, but we think you’re crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you wanna see us. In the simplest terms, and the most convenient definitions.”

You see us as 

A Brain

An Athlete

A Basket Case

A Princess

A Smoker

And a Criminal

Correct? That’s the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning, we were brainwashed. 

*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*-*:*

Nickys Pov.
I glared at the seat in front of me as my step dad pulled up to hell- I mean school. I grabbed my backpack and was about to leave the car when my dad grabbed my hair pulling me back. I yelped in pain.

“You listen to me you little bitch. This is the last time I wake up early to drive you to detention. You understand?” He nearly yelled.

“Yes Sir” I mumbled. 

I’ve heard this comment about 5 times. My step dad was always drunk, he barely remembers my name. He’s gonna say the exact same thing next weekend for whatever I do to get me back in here. My step dad was an abusive alcoholic, nothing like my real dad. 

“What?”

“Yes! Sir!” I yelled annoyed. 

I got angry a lot, I couldn’t help it, lots of things just made me angry. My step dad glared at me.

“Get out of my car” He growled.

I rolled my eyes. Glad too. I grabbed my backpack and headed up to the doors of hell.

I decided I’d wait a bit before going inside so I took out a cigarette and lit it. I took a drag clearing my mind for a few seconds. I looked up to see four other cars pull up. Claire “Queenie” Standish, Andrew Clark the star athlete, wonder what these two did to get in here? Then there was Brian Johnson, that was even more surprising, and Alisson Reynolds. They all walked past me without even a glance, except Alisson, who gave me a small smile, which I returned. 

Then last but certainly not least, the infamous John “The Criminal” Bender. I’ve known Jay for years now, he’s my only friend. 

He walked up to me and stopped in front me, taking the cig out of my mouth, taking a drag, and then setting it back on my lips. I smirked and he smirked back then walked inside. Full disclosure I’ve had a crush on Bender since we were 11. We were walking down the street and some guys tried to hit on me, Bender beat them up. I’ve liked him ever since, but there’s no use. I’m an outcast, a weirdo, nobody would ever like me. After finishing my cig I finally decided to walk inside. 

* - * - * - * - *