Two Men Too Many

I didn't hear from Johann for over a week, and Agent Thomson too, completely left me alone after he swiftly dropped by to pick up the letters. 

After a few days, for a moment, just for a few minutes, I thought this could be it. Johann was scared off by the FBI, wasn't going to contact me anymore, and the FBI had no further use of me. 

But those hopes were shattered when I received a call from a number which I didn't recognize, the next Saturday. Johann's trade. 

I just got dinner with my roommate Diane, and it was one of those summer days where it was too unbearably hot to do anything, so we didn't, except for lounging on the balcony of our apartment with Chinese. Diane was describing to me how good her one-night stand was last night, with all details included, when we were both startled by the sudden ringtone. 

I picked my phone up as my heart dropped, realizing this was probably the man I'd hoped was finally gone from my life.

"Johann?" I asked. 

Diane sighed long and hard next to me, making it known she didn't like being interrupted.

"Yeah, hey. I'm sorry I didn't call you for so long." 

His voice was raspy from all the smoking he'd done, and his German accent sounded very familiar in my ear. I took a bite of my spring roll and got up, shrugging at my annoyed roommate.

"That's completely alright, actually. I had hoped you'd finally found a wife for yourself."

"Oh, don't be so cruel to me, Sam," he spoke. "How are you? I was told you made friends with the federals." 

I closed the door to the balcony behind me, leaving Diane, who had lit a cigarette, outside. The room was still cool as long as we kept the curtains closed as well as the doors, but I still turned on the fan to cool my head. I sat before it with crossed legs, closing my eyes. 

The man knew about me and the FBI, and still contacted me. I wondered if I was ever going to get rid of him.

"Cool, I'm cool," I responded.

"I wish I could visit you, you're so cold over the phone."

"Try, if you want."

"You'd love that, wouldn't you now," he commented with an ironic tone. "But don't worry, I'm definitely going to find a way without having those federal fags in between us."

"Don't you have anything better to do?' I snickered, before I could stop myself.

"Nein, not really," he simply said, and I heard his shoes click on a floor, as he spoke softly in German to other people. 

Meanwhile, I laid down the phone, put it on speaker, and got a notebook to write down his number for the FBI. Johann got into a discussion with a woman, who spoke in broken German to him. She sounded American. 

Sweat was still pearling down my back and as I looked sideways in the standing mirror, I saw my red head and my curls plastered against my sweaty skin. While cursing on my inability to handle heat, I took off my shirt, leaving only my bra and shorts to cover me. 

Johann got back to the phone.

"Entschuldigung," he continued. "Now, as for what I really called for, there's something I need you to know. There's going to be an CIA-agent shipped over to the US to help out our Sammy to find me. This man is obviously not just an agent, otherwise he wouldn't've caught my attention. He has been after me since you called the pigs on me in England, but not just for the government, I found out he also works for an ex-colleague of mine, with whom I didn't part on the best foot.