Check Off The List

As soon as we stepped outside, my chills were replaced with a delicious blanket of warmth, falling over me, and I exhaled. I checked my phone. Half past five. Time sure did fly at the Bureau. 

Samuel twirled the car keys around his long fingers, skipping off the stairs, and smiling at a woman with short, black hair, who passed him. 

What got him into such a good mood? I couldn't imagine the dinner with the assistant-director being such great news for someone as busy as him. 

I caught up to him, by backpack bouncing against my lower back.

"Are you sure you have time to bring me home? I can just take the train; it doesn't matter to me," I offered, glancing at him sideways. He met my eyes, sending me a rare, genuine smile. A silly feeling sparked inside.

"The doob tubes got us somewhere. I'm going to check out some places," he explained, unlocking his car. "Might as well bring you home."

"Ah, so that's why you were so incredibly eager," I remarked, making him roll his eyes. 

After quickly hoisting myself into the passenger's seat, greeted by the familiar cigarette-smell, I relaxed in the cushioned stool. I sure had been in his car very often in a very short period of time. Samuel sat down as well and started the engine. 

After fastening my seatbelt, I rested my head against the window, enjoying the silence. Man, his car was comfortable. I could fall asleep in here. 

I peeked over at Samuel, his broad chest. How it rose and fell with each breath, a considerably calming sight, and his firm, packed arms, God, his physique wasn't something easy to find among boys my age. My gaze lowered to the bulge in his pants. And, in fact, that size wasn't either. I had to forcibly pull my eyes off him to the outside world again, feeling the blood rise to my cheeks. 

I've always ran from the feeling older men gave me, because it made me think thoughts I didn't want to face, and the sexual force behind it was just down-right frightening. Along with my considerably weird fetish for being in alarming situations, it made sexual experiences with older men always a little too much for me. 

This made me hold back on trying to find a man for myself, because a lot of older ones have an incredible sex-drive when it comes to young girls. 

Feeling the heat between my legs accumulate, I crossed them. Samuel turned his head to me.

"You don't have something against Hannig personally, do you" he stated, out of the blue, with a monotone voice. I shook my head as he glanced over quickly to read my expression. "Even though he did many things to violate the law?"

"I don't know. I mean, he does provide weapons to people who do bad things with them, or sell drugs to people who make others addicted, but he doesn't do one of these things himself. He is a criminal, sure, but I don't really see the bad person in him. I think he's just too greedy for his own good."

"Too greedy, huh." Samuel leaned his chin on the wheel, staring at the traffic that was going slower and slower. In a few minutes we'd be stuck, without doubt. He drew in a sharp breath but let the silence return to what it was as the engine gently rumbled underneath me. 

I wasn't good at resenting people. I wasn't good at blaming them for the things they did. The day I'd actually get mad at someone over something, the skies would be coming down. Maybe I should feel a considerable aversion towards Johann simply because he stood somewhere one wasn't supposed to stand, but I hadn't been able to muster it, no matter how hard I tried. 

Samuel now had to fully stop the car due to the traffic jam as I pinched my thumb harshly. I noticed him staring at me, not having to focus on the road ahead anymore, and I turned my head to meet his gaze.

"Did you have sex with him?" he asked. My mouth parted at his blunt question. "I mean, poor choice of words. Did you ever give him something of some kind that made him stick around?"

"Uh," I started, but felt the blood rush to my cheeks and quickly looked the other way. My thumb was aching from the harsh squeezing. Compose yourself, Sam, it's just a question about sex. Nothing special, nothing new. "Well, yeah I did. He was the first one in." 

Samuel hummed and focused his gaze on the Hyundai before us again, tapping on the wheel. I released my thumb to fiddle with my dress instead as the silence returned, in the shape of agonizing tension, as he occasionally sped up and slowed down again.

"Is that making things harder for you?"

"No, not necessarily. It wasn't particularly passionate sex." Too much information, Sam, what the hell? 

I brought my fingers to my mouth, embarrassed out of my mind.

"Consensual?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah. Though I was seventeen. But I already told you, I don't need to sue him for anything." I dared to look his way. He probably was no stranger to victims who had been raped or forced to do things, so it wasn't a surprise he asked about it. He probably had to, sooner or later. 

The man massaged the wheel, staring at the traffic before him with the most bored expression ever. Well, I guess that was also an emotion I wanted to see from him that I could now check off the list.

He ruffled through his hair and rubbed over his stubble. "Jesus, this is going to take a while. I think train would've been faster for you. Excuse."

"Oh, it's quite alright," I noted. "I don't loathe your company." 

As he turned his head to meet my gaze with a hint of surprise, I sent him a teasing grin to ease the weight on those words, before hugging myself and resting my head against the window again. Ah, I could just never shut up, could I. 

Samuel didn't respond, of course he didn't. 

I followed the cars on the other side of the highway, observing the people in them. 

Johann was the only person I ever had sex with, so of course I held some kind of sentiment for him. That didn't mean I hesitated from helping the FBI to get him into jail, the man was a criminal. To me, his king-of-illegal trade side and his side that chases me were entirely different.

Slowly but surely, the traffic started moving again as I felt myself gently slipping away, the scent of cigarettes and the male body putting me at ease. This day had been quite exhausting, physically and mentally, that CIA-agent complicating the whole helping-the-FBI thing, I just hoped this would all be over soon.

Samuel woke me up as soon as we arrived at my apartment, dropped me off and left as quickly as always. 

Even though my entire body screamed for more sleep, I spend the entire evening on reading books for classes I had the next day. Diane cooked for a change, apparently because she was on a quest to lose a few pounds, even though the chubbiness in her sides complimented her fuller Latina-body. She, and her voluptuous figure, was the one who turned heads when we walked side by side, not me with my a-cup and slim particles. 

But I really wasn't complaining when she served me her salad with salmon, she was a great cook. 

I studied until one, but even after reading all those books, having filled my entire brain with seemingly completely futile information, I still couldn't stop myself from fretting about Johann and Agent Houghton. When I finally fell asleep that night, my thumb had gone numb from pinching.

The days that followed were quiet again. On Tuesday the Bureau send me the stuffed bear back they thoroughly examined for some reason, and at school Luka came to see me in my classes, so I could eat lunch with him and his friends. 

As the month came to an end and September started, the heat finally subsided to a more acceptable degree for someone used to the weather in England. I was getting used to DC, finally, and even attended my first party since I moved to the US, with Luka. 

Though I thoroughly enjoyed living a normal live, I did wonder how Samuel was doing.