Black Marble

When I came back, the soft oversized fabric comforting me, I found the Special Agent with one hand buried in his peanut-colored hair.

"There's nothing to negotiate here. She's our asset, she's not going anywhere."

"What is he suggesting?" Matthias quietly queried, only receiving a glare in response.

"No. No. We don't have to clarify anything. We are quite able to improve our security by ourselves," Samuel continued with an icy tone. "Yeah, of course we noticed what happened. No, of course I'm not accepting your criticism. Hold on." 

He laid down the phone and let go of his hair, studying me as I sat down next to him.

"What does he want?" his partner repeated himself while I finally started digging into the bag of fries. Samuel probably got it from the guy that was supposed to feed Sigi and I, I realized, too famished to think about what was happening around me.

"He keeps saying the FBI is incapable of handling threats." Samuel's hand moved up to me and fixed the collar on the jacket, making my cheeks burn up as I quickly stuffed my face with more food. He sighed. "He wants insurance that Thursday's events don't get repeated, he threatens to take Samantha out of the country if push comes to shove. But he says he'd rather just settle this with us."

"So, he wants heavier security around her?"

"People around her all around the clock." Samuel exhaled again, taking a fry from me. "Though I can understand why, I simply can't make that happen. Davidson doesn't consider the threats severe enough to give her better protection."

"I can press him. Even though it's not exactly appetizing to comply with a criminal, Samantha does need the security, I'm afraid. We..." Matthias bowed forward to snatch Sigi's phone from the table, to put it on speaker. "We'll make it happen. I'll speak to the Assistant-Director, he can have the security by tomorrow." 

It stayed quiet on the other side of the line, as my mind slowly went numb. Though I had no idea what they were talking about, it's something I felt coming for a while. It just couldn't go on easily like this, it was only a matter of time until my daily life was severely going to suffer because of Johann. 

The fries suddenly didn't taste half as good anymore. People around me all around the clock? Was he serious? What for, even? What were 'Thursday's events'?

"Okay, then," Johann finally spoke, his raspy voice sounding flatly through the empty room. "But you'll stay there until you have at least one man on you, Sam."

"No," I flapped out. "I'm not staying here."

"Then go home with the boy scouts," he retorted immediately, obviously not in his usual mood to mess around with me. What put him on edge like this?

"Do you want to go with Samuel, then?" Agent Laghari queried, kindly. "I don't think my wife would appreciate a young damsel around the house. As for my partner, he sleeps alone for as long as I've known him. I'm sure you'll have a fun time."

"Oh, that's alright." I waved with my hands dismissively, a little too abrupt. "I'll just hire an escort in my apartment. That doesn't count as being alone, does it? I'd hate to bother you." I nodded to Samuel.

"Sam actually makes for quite the great escort himself, actually," his partner confided. "Plus, he has a rain shower." 

I made a sound being impressed upon hearing that, unable to hold back a snicker. "Well now, that's pretty good. Maybe I'll consider it."

"Why don't I have a say in this?" the one in question finally snapped. "My apartment is miles away from here. Matthias, yours is way more efficient." He leaned forward to nag back the phone from his partner.