Aggressive Men

The cannabis-dealer got us nowhere. The raid didn't, the employees didn't, Eloise Amy was nowhere to be found after the quick interrogation. 

Extremely displeased with this dead end, we had no choice but to follow the trail we had before Samantha came around, following the black market and tracing IP-addresses. This was long and fruitless work, hardly worth it, but the only lead we could go on. 

Samantha didn't call with good news, Houghton kept sitting around, doing his own thing, and all I could do was follow around people that may or may not have been in touch with Hannig once. 

Davidson kept on insisting on a diner with the three of us, but as Houghton kept on declining, it never happened.

When the next Monday came around, I lost all hope on finding something in the black market. 

As I made my way to the office in the morning and greeted Matthias, I found Houghton in the empty office opposite from ours, calling. I had no idea what the man did here. I tried to keep my eye on him, but he was so secretive about everything he did, that even though we were supposed to work together, I had not a clue about what he had done the past week. 

I've tried occasionally to steal a glance of what he was doing on his laptop, but just when I thought I had him, he switched to a document of the case. And I saw him switching, he didn't even try to hide it, he just knew I couldn't ask him to show me what he was actually doing on there. 

Seeing him calling in a separate room so we couldn't hear his conversation, made me even more fed up with the man. Not that this was weird behavior for a CIA-agent, I was actually quite used to the cold attitude of the British. 

Though the mysterious calls were getting on my nerves.

I dropped my bag on my desk and adjusted my tie. Was I going to go in on what Johann said about Houghton? Should I? I glanced over at Matthias who was making the third suspect list from the black market, after the previous ones got completely cleared.

"Hey, Matthias, can I ask you something?" I queried, pulling out my laptop. The man looked up, rubbing over the beard he'd been growing.

"As long as it's not about if it's okay to fuck a minor. You know how I feel about that." He wiggled his eyebrows knowingly. 

I shook my head, dispassionate. He'd been like this ever since that Sunday, and it was getting on my nerves just as much as Houghton was.

"She's not a minor." I pulled out my chair and sat down. "What she is, is someone who gets warned by Hannig for Agent Houghton here. He says he has his own agenda, a criminal one, at that. He has absolutely no reason to frame him for anything, so I was just wondering..."

"I don't know, Sammy. The only way you can find out is by tapping the man, and that's..." He drew a finger across his throat. "very illegal. Plus, what would his scheme be? Take Hannig once we got him and kill him or something? Or run off with the guy? That won't go unnoticed."

"I guess."

"You're just bummed that we haven't been able to find anything the past week."

"It just feels like we only discover the things he wants us to discover. The man is too cautious." I rubbed the nape of my neck. "I'm getting tired of this."

"What are you being a bitch for? You're giving up way too soon," he said, shoulders raised in a shrug, eyebrows raised high as I glared at him. "But tap the man if you feel like you need to prove something, just make sure it won't be on me." 

I let out a groan as I leaned back in my chair, putting my feet up the desk. Staring at the ceiling, I considered what he said. The silence in the office returning to what it was, I saw the CIA-agent from the corner of my eye leaving the room and, without paying us even a glance, left with his coat and bag.