It Has Come Down

After a while, I had no idea how long, of mindless making my way through the barely conceivable path, the rain started to worsen. 

Above me, the trees swayed dangerously, clashing against each other and letting branches rain down along the waterfall from the skies. They didn't land on me, though, the layer of trees above me took all the hits.

When the drops slowly turned colder and I started shivering, the road forked before me. I halted. Well, shit. I couldn't remember with the life of me whether we turned right or left once during the trip in the car. 

I blew out my cheeks, hugging myself. 

This was just nonsense, anyway. The ride took more than three hours, there was no way I was going to be able to walk all that while back without breaking down. And Johann would've never let me outside if he thought I was able to make it out, anyway.

I reeled as I heard a howling in the distance. I knew wolves in America weren't usually inclined to attack humans but taking the risk and going forth was just a little too much for me. 

Clenching my jaw, I pivoted and started walking back. 

Next time I was going to have to be a little more prepared. Maybe I could steal a backpack, and some food, and definitely a jacket. Ava was extremely cautious to keep all the digital devices away from my hands, even locking them in a safe when she was gone, but they weren't all that wary about the rest of the stuff in the cottage.

As I made a mental list of all that I would need, I was surprised by a sudden flash lighting up my surroundings, a thunder rolling through the skies in response, almost simultaneously. I quickened my step, feeling a little scared but free. The same rush I always experienced as a kid roared through me.

 Another lightning struck, and I used the opportunity to observe my dress. Completely soaked, completely see-through. I shouldn't let Johann see me like this. No dirt, luckily, I wouldn't want to ruin Ava's dress. My curls clung to my wet skin. 

For how long had I been gone, anyway? It felt like two hours, at least.

I climbed over the rock and made my way for the field, when something struck me as off. Usually, I could see the lights of the cottage from here, dancing through the trees, but now it was completely dark. 

I reached the grass. All the lights were off, you could hardly make out the cottage if you didn't know where it stood. Did they go to bed early? Or was I really gone for that long? Usually, they waited for me to return. Did they not realize-

"Sam," someone hissed, making their way towards me in the hazy surroundings. 

I recognized Ava's voice and skipped to the sound. It was hard to perceive anything trough the rain, but her figure soon came into sight.

"What is it?"

"What in the world are you doing outside with such weather, you look like a drowned cat, how..." She let her gaze fall down my figure and let out a whimper, "my dress..."

"It's just rain, I'll wash it, don't worry. What's going on?" 

I tried to make my way to the dwelling, but she stopped me, her face turning serious. I noted her outfit, she was wearing pants for the first time this week, and there was a large AK strapped to her back. 

I broke out in cold sweat. What...

"Nothing, just the, uh, Aliens left their base, according to the FBI. We have to be prepared. You're going to have to carry a gun. Johann said so." 

She took out the weapon Johann taught me to use and pushed it in my hands, before I could decline. Even though Ava tried to act like everything was fine, her quick and high-pitched speech betrayed her concern about the situation.