Cops Are Always Just Talk

My heart was beating like a subway train, not fully able to process what just happened. What did happen? I'm sure it's nothing, I thought, pinching my thumb. 

The flutters in my belly told me otherwise, though. 

He just stared at you, Samantha, from real close, no big deal.

"What did you want to say?" I queried, trying to stabilize my tone.

"Oh, I was thinking..." He rubbed over the nape of his neck. "Never mind. Did Johann contact you after yesterday?"

"He did, actually," I blurted out. 

I'd decided myself not to share this with him, for one part to avoid Samuel in general, but also because he'd probably just confiscate the earrings without pardon. And, though I didn't like to admit it, I felt a little safer if I'd wear them, although I hadn't dared to yet.

I instantly wanted to hit myself for telling the truth. Samuel turned back to me with a frown, immediately having lost all vulnerability I just thought I saw a glimpse of.

"He did? Why didn't you call me? Wait, he didn't call you, I'd know. Did he visit you?"

"Yeah. Last night. At my apartment. He helped me clean up, actually," I said, unable to look away from him.

"And that's it?" Samuel raised his eyebrow, his grey eyes piercing straight into my soul. He knew Johann wouldn't take such a risk just to help me clean my apartment. He was trained a federal agent, and that truly wasn't in my favor at the moment. 

I bit on my lower lip because I couldn't pinch my thumb anymore, he already took up on that trait most likely.

"No. He gave me a tracking device of his own, he said yours was too big." 

Samuel was silent for a while.

"Do you have it on you?" His tone was already way less stern, making me relax again.

"No, it's up there. Do I have to get it for you?"

"Yeah, if that's cool. I'll come with you." He finally turned off the engine and stepped out, as I followed his example. 

As soon as I moved my legs, I realized how drenched I was. I cursed myself and my fetishes, quickly skipping after Samuel.

We made our way up the stairs without saying a word, the tension only rising. While he waited outside the door, I quietly slipped into the apartment, in case Diane was sleeping. 

Our shared room was completely dark, but the moonlight lit up my roommate, sleeping on the couch. I exhaled softly at the peaceful sight. Her book lay next to her head. She probably dozed off while reading, I speculated, throwing a light blanket over her body. 

I quickly grabbed the pink present from the jewelry stand in our bathroom and stepped outside again, feasting my eyes on the male with his perfect face, leaning against the wall. His muscles clearly visible through his loose hanging shirt, his ruffled hair, his sharp facial features, damn. 

I quietly closed the door behind me, feeling my sex heat up.

"It's in one of these," I spoke softly and handed him the studs in their package. "Are you going to take them?" 

Samuel picked out one of them and squinted his eyes. "In here? Really? That's just overdoing it." He grimaced, making me let out a quiet laugh. "It's up to you, really. I can take them in, but we can't really do anything with this. It's handmade, probably."

"So?"

"So, we can't trace it back to a company of some sorts, who would have Hannig as one of their clients. We can try trough, maybe there's something special in it, however, knowing him just one bit, he probably left nothing," he explained, giving me back the small diamond.