A Lady Can Hit

"He isn't talking." Saunders stepped out of the interrogation room with weary eyes, reporting to Matthias and me. "His story is shit, he can't prove a thing, he knows very well in what position he is, but he still doesn't confess." 

She let out a long sigh I sat down in a chair to watch the toned guy, who listened to the name Jason, wiggle in his seat through the one-way glass. 

There was enough suspicion against him to hold him responsible for trashing Samantha's apartment to some extent, but that was hardly a case. What we needed was the names of the men who hired him, which he would never give. 

He was going to walk away here with a fine at best and he knew it too. We needed more substantial evidence to prove he was there looking for something.

"Can't we bribe him with less penalty if he gives us a valid lead?" Matthias naively offered.

"With the way things are going; he's looking at a fine for trespassing an apartment complex and trespassing Personnel Only terrain. That sum is not even large enough to scare him into buying you a coffee, if there are criminals on the other side who might kill him for it. We're not getting anything out of him," Saunders explained, lifting her palms. "And there's the other thing, the intel that Samantha is your asset clearly came into the world. Either someone leaked it, or she talked. 

"Anyhow, this is not only dangerous to her; it can also harm your case badly when someone gets to the girl and makes her speak. Thomson..." She turned to me, arms crossed. "I take it that you understand this already, but no more info-sharing with Samantha, if you value her." 

I raised my eyebrows as she quickly added 'as an asset', when the door was thrown open, making all the heads in the room turn. Houghton barged in with large steps.

"I'll talk to him," The CIA-agent domineered, dropping his bag, and headed for the door to the suspect. I noted his casual jeans, but the black shirt made up for them. Stop obsessing over colleague's clothing-choices, Sam.

"Wait a minute," I finally spoke while leaning back in my chair. "You aren't qualified for that." 

Saunders sighed again, letting Houghton pass. "Oh please, Thomson, since when are you so stuck up on the rules? Let the man try." 

I shook my head in disbelief. One second she forbids me from any overstepping and the next she lets my number one suspect be alone with who is probably one of his men. 

Matthias glanced over to me with an unsure expression and I internally cursed him as well, as Houghton stepped into the room and shut the door behind him.

Well, at least we can hear every word that comes out of his mouth, every whisper and mumble, I thought, rocking in the chair. He'd be a fool to try anything funny now.

Houghton didn't get a thing out of him. Of course he didn't, during the entire conversation, he only fished at how much Jason knew about the men he worked for. There was not a hint in Jason's behavior that showed he knew the CIA-agent, so I was not a step further in neither investigation. 

Matthias refused to give up and was giving it a try after Houghton, but I had better things to do, or so I thought. 

Aram wasn't present today, so I couldn't let him trace Jason's contacts on his phone. As I was pondering about what steps to take next, I mindlessly wandered through the hallways. 

When I came close to my office, I suddenly saw movement at the door. It opened, and Daphne stepped out. Her dark-blue dress whirled along with her, as her blonde ponytail followed. 

I arched my eyebrow at the sight. How did she get in? I knew for certain I locked the door behind me. 

She saw me coming and waved with her long fingers. "Samuel! I was just looking for you." She locked the door as I neared her. "Assistant-Director Davidson wants to see you in his office."