Freckles

"Good God, Thomson, what have you done?" Saunders stammered, taking in the scene.

Daphne passed out, probably because I put too much pressure on her head. My own world was also getting darker with the second from when she hit me on the jaw. Agents were running to help, but I waved with my hand, turning to them.

"Take her into custody. The rest is a crime-scene." Saunders raised both her eyebrows at me, mouth hanging open.

"What are you saying? What the hell happened? The girl needs medical attention. I don't know what you've done to her-" She squinted her eyes to look at my jaw. "Jesus. She did that?"

"No, I hit myself." I sighed. "Look back the security-footage. I feel like I might throw up if I stay standing for much longer, so I'm..." My voice died off as the elevator next to ours caught my eye. It was the one for staff and cleaners, and it came down from the top floor; the third. 

I quickly reached out to press the button to let it stop here as Davidson grabbed me at the shoulder, leading me away from the elevators.

"Are you okay?" he prompted. "Did she get to your balls?" 

I glanced over my shoulder as the doors of the elevator slowly opened. Davidson kept firing questions at me, not bothered by the lack of response, when I finally witnessed the person Daphne was taking me to. 

He stood there as the doors opened with an agonizingly slow speed. Black shirt, blue jeans, his dark eyes piercing straight back at me. Jacob Houghton. 

Of course.

~

"The girl's just out, nothing too serious leave the dislocated shoulder," Saunders reported and sat down on the other chair around the small table next to Davidson's office. "The lab's currently investigating whatever it was that was in that needle. Have you seen the footage?" 

She looked at Davidson, who nodded, sipping on his coffee. "Well, the girl was clearly on a mission. She was headed for the third floor, wasn't she? They're looking into that as well. That leaves the motive. Why would she go after Thomson?" 

She spoke like I wasn't there, but I didn't mind, as my balls still felt like they were on fire. I did hope she didn't castrate me. I wasn't ready to give up hopes of making kids.

"I just can't wrap my head around it yet." Davidson leaned back in his chair. "Usually, I can judge people quite well. It's like she was a whole different person on the footage. If anything, I'm questioning myself right now," he despaired. 

Saunders sighed with a badly concealed eyeroll. "If it's of any consolation, I didn't see it coming either." She finally turned to me. "Thomson. Why did she go after you?" 

I lifted up my own cup of coffee to her and swallowed away the nausea. My colleague's eyes shot daggers at me. 

The way I handled the situation was completely out of line, she'd hissed at me after seeing the footage. There was no reason to dislocate her shoulder, or to press her for answers afterwards. 

But she didn't understand. The chances of Daphne talking after she recovered were close to zero.

"I was digging into something. She pressed me about exactly that before we stepped in. I think someone didn't appreciate me..." I sat up straight and rubbed over the aching spot on my stomach. Damn, she really got me hard. Who knew there was so much strength in her petite figure. "knowing too much," I finished my sentence.

"And what was it exactly, that you were digging into?" Saunders demanded to know. My hand moved under my shirt to press against the spot, that was slowly getting more and more sore. "Oh, please, spare me the drama, Thomson," my favorite colleague sarcastically spoke. I glared up at her.