Chapter 48

Stage of Champions

"All in a day's work" Came a gargling whisper from over your shoulder, and at the edge of your eye you saw the gleam of a long blade.. an assassin's blade.

"Watch it" You said ever so softly, and you flicked your head to the side to knock Elizabeth's half-fringe out of your eye as it began to glow, lights like a thousand little fireflies illuminated around the rock platform as your will-o-wisps began to plume.

But your fires extinguished before they could turn to blue, as a violent wind threw the assassin that had leapt at you across the rock and into his brother. "You're right" Elaine said, and you spun around to her, not quite used to the added weight of Elizabeth's bust, as Elaine set her hand outstretched facing your opponents. "Taking on humans like you, is all in a day's work for the Saint of the Fairy Forest."

"Elaine! You're amazing!" You cheered, excited to see her use her abilities again after spending so long watching from afar from the depths of the illusive, Necropolis. You felt your head warmth a little with a bit of pressure as Elaine read some of your thoughts, thankfully, you were so preoccupied with how awesome she was all she could read was Incredible! She's really incredible! And your disguise as Elizabeth kept in tact.

"He he! Elizabeth, you're just as I imagined, you really are a sincere and wonderful girl!" Elaine blushed and pressed her hands together against the bottom of her lips. You leaned a little closer to her and smiled brightly, the Saint of the Fairy Forest practically shone with light.

"Is that so?" You giggled, deciding it was rather fun to play as Elizabeth to talk so casually to your old friend, it was like meeting her all over again. "I feel the same way! I'd always wondered what king of girl Ba— Sir Ban spoke so wonderfully of! Just as I predicted, you're a lovely person Elaine!"

From the corner of your eye, the two assassins climbed back to their feet and drew their daggers out from sheathes hidden beneath their layers of dark clothing. "Why is it you came to Vaizel, Elizabeth? Did you also get caught in the labyrinth?" Elaine floated next to you as you turned back to look at the attackers.

"Actually, we came to stop those two, and the rest of the Ten Commandments, they've escaped their seal."

"The first fairy king is with them.." The blonde fairy whispered, her little hand pressed to your shoulder as the assassins readied themselves for a second charge.

You nodded, "I know". There was a rattling and you didn't look down fast enough to see the bell-shaped smoke bombs which exploded on impact and sent out a cloud of smoke that quickly engulfed you both. "Ahh! A smoke screen!"

"Forgive me little girl" The same voice who'd attacked you before felt like it was coming from every direction, "you need to die for the cherished wish of the Malaxians." There was a searing pain from two points on your shoulder and you screamed in pain, looking over at the huge head of a snake that had latched on to your arm. A Holy Knight trick called 'Snake Whip'.

Unbelievable! Humans are so unlucky to have this vengeful trait. As your hair began to lift up like gravity had begun to disappear from the aura surrounding your body, your eyes began to shine and the snake hastily retracted from your arm as the fang marks healed instantly.

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth answer me! Where are you!?" Elaine was somewhere nearby, shrouded in the fog that surrounded you both.

Your hand began to glow with a bright celestial light, you jumped backwards on the balls of your heels to flip backwards. Completely a similar move to the one Meliodas used against Ban in the first fighting festival, you placed your unlit hand to the ground and wrapped your legs around the too-slow-to-react assassin. Flipping over with your hand as your base, you slammed his head down into the ground before grasping his forearm with your glowing palm.