THIRTEEN

❝LOUIE.❞

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

   MONTHS HAVE GONE BY SINCE THE AIRPORT. The only reason Carmen wasn't locked up with her teammates is because she's pregnant and needed a doctor at all times. Since that time a lot has happened. Bucky got put under the ice in Wakanda — of course first she had to say goodbye and tell him about their child. Carmen had never seen Bucky so happy and excited, he told her that when he's out of the ice they are getting married no matter what is happening around them. After that Sam and Theo started to officially date and Carmen stayed up many nights in pain and she found out the gender of the baby; a boy.

   All of that led to this moment; the birth. Any noise around Carmen felt like white noise, it was so fuzzy and her vision was blurry. Scream after scream was being let out, and her grip on Theos had kept getting tighter. Outside the room waiting was Steve and Sam, both of them stressing. Carmen was just happy to have all the people she loves here — except Bucky. He isn't here and as much as she understands why he can't be, she desperately wishes he could stand beside her and tell her sweet nothings. Especially because she knows what's going to happen, she always had a bad feeling about this day.

With sweat dripping down her face Carmen looked at Theo, "I love you, thank you for staying with me for so long." Theo gave her a questioning look, not understanding what has overcome Carmen. But Carmen knew she had to say it. Because she may have met Bucky and Steve first, Theo knew her longer. In the sense that they spent every day together alone for over 100 years. Bucky and Steve were only there for about 40 of those. "You are the greatest friend I have ever had, never forget that," Carmen told Theo once more, her mind becoming dizzy.

That was the moment Theo knew and her eyes widened in fear, "Carmen you're okay... o-okay? You're almost done," as she spoke Carmen kept shaking her head. Tears started to spill quickly put of Theo's eyes, "I love you, you got this! J-just hold on. It's okay, you're gonna get your h-happy ending."

"Louie..." Carmen said below a whisper, and Theo gave her a questioning look. "Name him Louie Ripley-Barnes."

   "Why me?" Theo kept denying the truth to herself as her tears fell harder. "You get to name him. You get to put it on the birth certificate." When Carmen did respond and with one final push she went limp; Theo knew. Theo let out a sob and held tighter to Carmen's hand, "p-please." The last time Theo had cried this hard was when her boyfriend was murdered. This is her best friend, her sister, what was she supposed to do now?

   The doctor showed the baby to Theo and the nurse left to go clean Louie off. This is the hard part. Theo walked outside to the hall with tears streaming down her face. Immediately Sam and Steve's faces dropped. When Theo shook her head no they didn't know if she meant the baby or Carmen. "Carmen didn't make it. They're cleaning the baby right now." For the short period, Theo knew Steve; she never saw him cry. But at the news of Carmen, it took him no hesitation to cry. "She named him Louie Ripley-Barnes."

Sam held his composure, "so what now?"

"I'm gonna take custody until Bucky wakes up from the ice. Think we're gonna head to Queens and hire Sage to help." Theo nodded with a sniffle. But the tears still ran down her face hard. The silence in Steve was painful. Meanwhile, Sam wanted to ask Theo what about him and their relationship but he knows better, and now is not the time. Death seemed impossible for Carmen, but death found it's way to her.

Carmen Ripley imagined death so much it started to feel more like a memory. Back in 1944 death was taken away from her - the inevitable was taken away from her. She never thought that her life could end unless someone killed her — and she never wanted to give someone that satisfaction. But as she pushed that baby out, she didn't feel the pain from it. Instead, she felt the pain of fighting, of time, of all the loved ones she's lost. She was tired, and as much as she would've liked to stay for this child and with Bucky; she can't. Her fight is over. She gave this child life, and this child ended hers. Carmen Ripley always liked not being able to breathe. Now she'll never breathe again.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

ONE.

NEXT IS THE EPILOGUE BUT I HAVE A FEW WORDS FIRST.

THIS STORY MEANS SO SO SO MUCH TO ME AND IT ENDING REALLY FEELS LIKE THE END OF AN ERA FOR ME. I ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF IT AND CARMEN IS A VERY BIG PART OF ME. THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO WENT ON THIS JOURNEY WITH ME OR READS THIS STORY IN THE FUTURE.

WELL, FOR THE LAST TIME,
I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT!

MELANIE.