18 - Weekend

Lara's POV

After I helped Mom with the dishes she had some work to finish so I joined Dad and Monty in the living room. They were chatting about the game and the schools baseball season.

I made myself comfortable in Monty's lap. With my head on his shoulder and arms wrapped around his neck I listened to them talk. This made me happy. Really happy. Monty wrapped his arms around my waist and kept me close to him. Soon I felt myself drift to sleep.

Andrew Hastings POV

Lara looks really happy with Montgomery. He is a good guy. I know he has family issues, Lara has mentioned it but never fully. I don't ask questions either because it looks like a sensitive subject.

I know he spends most of his nights here anyway. I'm worried about Diana. She works so hard everyday to show my parents that she is worth my love. Worth the wealth. My mom keeps reminding me if Diana never got pregnant with Carly at 19 I could've found someone else.

I don't want someone else. My family is my life. Seeing my daughter so happy makes me happy. Carly and I have a good relationship but my relationship with Lara is deeper. I connect with her better.

Diana always says it's because we're the same. I look over to where Lara and Montgomery were sitting. I love that she is comfortable enough to be herself with him. That she shows her love for him no matter what. I've seen him do the same. The side glances always making sure she's fine.

"You really care for my daughter?" He looks back at me. There is a moment of silence and then he clears his throat. "Yes sir. She is perfect."

I can hear how much he admires her just with the way he's getting uncomfortable. "She's my savior. If I ever were to lose her I don't know if I could came back from that."

He looks at her and kiss her forehead. She stirs lightly but turns her head futher into his neck. "I used to fear that she would start dating Bryce. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against him. It's just he is so much like his father. Trust me when I tell you Barry doesn't know how to appreciate a woman."

When I said Bryce's name his face fell as if I punch him right in it. I get the feeling he lives in Bryce's shadow. "So when Skye one day slipped up and told us about Lara's crush on this one guy in school I was so relieved."

Monty looks up in suprise. His grib around Lara tighten and she pulls herself closer to him. "Lara was so embarrassed and angry at Skye for spilling her secret. But not long after that she introduced you to us."

I take a sip from my whiskey. Look back to the game and continue my story. "Barry and I were best friends in high school. Always competing who gets the most girls and shit. When I first actually met Diana I was blown away. Barry teased me countless of times. I didn't care that I was whipped. She wanted me and I wanted her. So it suprised me when Barry introduced us to Nora. Not long after she got pregnant with Bryce and I'd pray everyday that my daughter won't fall for him."

Downing my last bit of whiskey I look back at him. He looks at me with a bit of sadness. "Montgomery I'm glad my daughter is dating you and not him. I've heard about your anger and I can help get you to manage it if you want. Just promise you'll never hurt my daughter."

We both take a look at her and then he answer with determination. "I'll rather die than hurt her." This made me smile. I look over at the clock. 22:34 it read. "Well I'm off to bed. You can stay the night I'm sure she'll love it."

He stands up with Lara still in his arms. "Thank you Mr Hastings. I really appreciate everything you said." I nod at him and patted him on the shoulder. I left while he cared my pumpkin to her room.

I found Diana in our room busy rubbing cream on her body. It's clear she just got out of the shower. I kiss her lightly against her head and head to the shower myself.