25 - Clay Jensen

Lara's POV

I have to get ready for Alex's party. When I got home I see a note on the fridge that said my parents have a business dinner so they'll be back late.

I scrubble a note done saying I'm going to the arcade for Alex's party. I turn on the shower and get in. The warm water washes over my skin. It lets my mind wander.

There is something wrong between Monty and I. I can't place it. He is so much more jealous all of a sudden. It's like he is busy trying to be Bryce. I can't talk to him about it because it pisses him off.

Whatever it is I hope is passes soon. I want us back. Back in my room I remember the sex toy. Who the fuck would leave that in my locker. What kinks are they talking about.

I stand infront of my closet indecisive. What to wear ? I wonder if Peter will be there. How different would my life have been if I gave him a shot.

Finally I make a decision that I don't change again. I haven't heard anything from Skye in days. I'm worried but I don't want to pressure her.

Lara's outfit 🦚

Lara's outfit 🦚

Grabbing my car keys I head out to the arcade. When I arrived I stay seated. Afraid of what I might find inside. A knock on the windown brings me back.

Zach stands outside. I climb out with the birthday gift in my hands. I gave him a hug. He looks a little bit better but I know he fakes.

When we walked in my body froze. There at the table next to Alex sat Peter. Alex never knew hell I don't think anybody knew about Peter and I. Monty does because I told him.

Zach pushes me lightly and frowns down at me. I gave him a half smile and we walk forward. "Happy birthday!" Alex gets up and comes over to me.

He hugs me and I hug back. It feels really weird knowing he actually has a crush on me. I give Zach a shot to say happy birthday.

Mrs Standall comes up to me and pulls me into a hug. I hug back immediately. She is a good person. Peter and his dad stay seated. "Thank you for coming Lara. It means alot to him."

Mr Standall thanks me and points to a open seat. Right next to Peter. At first I hesitate but he pulls the chair out and I make myself comfortable.

Soon everybody is talking and laughing. I see Jess coming in. Alex talks to her and she comes over to me. She gives me a side hug and greets Mrs Standall.

"You wanna take a walk?" It's Peter's voice coming to me. I look over at anybody else. "Sure. Why not." We both get up and start to walk around.

"So how is Liberty treating you." I have my milkshake with me and I almost choke. "Like shit. This whole trail thing, Hannah Baker thing messes with a person." He nods his head. His hands are in his pockets.

"Are you dating anyone ?" The question catches me off guard. I though Alex would have said something. "I mean I know Alex is in love with you so maybe you two are ..?"

I shake my head. Look down at my feet. He looks at me. I can feel his stare. "No I'm not dating Alex. I'm..I'm dating Montgomery." There is a silence that follows.

We stop at the end of the line and take a new one. "The one you wanted to have instead of me?" This breaks my heart. Literally breaks. I liked Peter so much and then Montgomery showed up and before I knew I liked both.

Just I liked Montgomery more. "I wish sometimes that I should've picked you. Maybe my life would be different. I wouldn't have this much drama." He stops and takes my hand.

I look down at it and then back up to him. The atmosphere is filled with packed energy. "I still care about you Lara it's just I care about my brother more. He would never forgive me for having you."

I pull away and walked away from him. Turning back around. "Why didn't you fight harder for me ? Why did you just give up ?" He looks over to see if any of the others are close. "I was a senior and you a freshman. I would leave and you would stay. It would've been a matter of time and then Montgomery would have you anyway."

This makes me so angry at him. Tears wants to spill from my eyes. I'm holding back tears. Fighting so hard. "You don't know that. Because you never fought for us."

He laughs sarcastically. Turns around and begins to walk away. He stops and turn back at me. "I lost before I could've fought. You choose him time and time again. I can't compete with that. I can't fight for something that will never be mine. You stopped the war before it began."

I look at him shocked. I knew my feelings for him was strong. But my feelings for Montgomery grew rapidly. I couldn't help myself. I love Monty. Really really love him. More than anything in this world.

We stare at one another and before I could say something he cames at me. Grabs my waist and kiss me. I immediately wrap my arms around his neck.

Their kiss😱

Their kiss😱

I wanted to melt away in the kiss but Monty popped into my head. I pull away. Whip my lips and look at him. "That's all in the past now. We move forward. I'm with Montgomery and I'm happy. I don't regret my choice. This never happened."

With that said I stalk off. At the table I see an atmosphere. Clay explains that Alex lost his shit at his parents. Jess gave him a piece of her mind. I need to go to Monty.

"Thank you so much for everything Mr and Mrs Standall. It was a lovely party." I gave them a small smile. Mrs Standall pulls me into a hug.

I left there heading straight to Monty. Tears falling down my cheeks. What the fuck have I done ?