23 - Zach Dempsey

Zach's POV

"How did no one know about this relationship of yours?" I shake my head. Playing with my fingers and folding my hands.

"Lara knew. I already said that. She was the only one that knew because she offered her house for us to hang out at." The lawyer steps forward again. "So Hannah was scared of what her parents might think if they found our. That's why you hanged at Lara's house ?"

I have to choose my words more careful. "No she just didn't want them to know. She wanted it to be me and her. Nobody else." The lawyer turns to the jury again.

"But Lara knew. Where was she when you and Hannah hanged ?" None of this is helping Hannah at all. This is ruin5her futher. I never wanted this. The truth fucking sucks. "Like I said she spended her time with her boyfriend. Either at the movies or their spot."

The lawyer comes to stand right infront of me. "Was Hannah ever upset that you told Lara about your relationship?" This is more Lara's story than mine.

"No. They hanged out alot themselves that summer. They were pretty close friends." The lawyer smiled at me. Leans forward. "How did this relationship end ?"

I remember it so good. As if it's happening right now. "We decided to split before junior year. I didn't want my friends to know about her or us. I knew that they would want details that I didn't want to give."

The schools lawyer went to sit down but the Baker's lawyer comes to redirect. "So all the guys brag about what they do with girls or girlfriends? You wanted to protect Hannah from that ?"

I nod my head. I think to all the times. I just wanted her to be safe. "Yes and no. Montgomery never bragged about the stuff he did or does with Lara. He gets alot of shit for it but he protects her. I wanted to do the same with Hannah."

Finally court is over. This will all be out in a couple of hours. I feel like a jerk. Mom is waiting for me at the car but I stop where Lara waits for me. She gives me a hug. "You did your best. I'm proud."

She turns and walk away. Leaving me with the death glare of my mother dear.

Lara's POV

I rush back to school in time for swim practice. What Zach did was fucking brave. He stood up for what he did. He's owning his shit. His story.

After swim I shower and try to wash away all the bullshit of the past two days. My mind wandering to Monty. I hope his okay.

I greet some of the girls on my way out. Outside Monty leans against my car. I smile slightly. Baseball practice ended over an hour ago. He could've went home.

"I heard what Zach said in court today." I nod my head and stop a few feet from him. He looks up at me. His gym bag hanging over one shoulder.

"You never told me." I walk around to put my bags in the back of my car. Closing the door I turn towards him. "Yeah like you didn't tell me about Justin."

He is frustrated. He walks closer towards me. I don't step back. He looks down at me. "I'm trying to protect you." I see the sincerity on his face. He looks tired.

I put my hands on his face. "You don't have to protect me. I'm fine. I'm sorry about not telling you about Zach and Hannah."

He steps away and diggs inside his bag. He pulls out a brown paper bag. He hands it over to me. "There's all my steroids. I'm dine with them."

I didn't expect this at all. I take the bag from him and look inside. It's true. "We need to communicate with one another. Don't push me away. Don't became Bryce's shadow. I love you to much to let that happen."

He grabs my waist and kisses me softly. "Love you too. I hate when we fight." I smile into the kiss. Wrapping my arms around his neck. He pulls me closer to him.

Hands travelling towards my ass. They make themselves comfortable. Our kiss quickly becames deeper. I pull away and rest my forehead against his.

"I need to get home. My dad has a family business dinner. I have to get ready." He kisses me again and pulls away. Slaps my ass and let me go. "Text me to come over after your done."

I smile at that. I want him with me. "Will do babe." He smirks and gives me one last kiss.