30 - The Baker's

Lara's POV
A

fter the events on the baseball field I got a text from Sky. I left in a hurry from school. Not in the mood to stay and make myself open for Bryce to be close to me. I'm worried about everything. Most importantly worried about tomorrow's trail. Dad tried to prepare mw for every possible way but that doesn't mean they won't ask something terrible.

As I arrive at the facility I have to tell myself that she will be okay. I'll be okay no matter the outcome of tomorrow. My feet hit the ground heavily. "Hi, I'm here to see Sky Miller at her request." The nurse gives me a friendly look and gets up from behind the counter. "Follow me darling."

The place is intimidating but I guess it is the best place to heal your broken soul. I wonder if you could redeem yourself here. I'm pulled from my thoughts with arms that circle tightly around my neck. A massive smile breaks lose on my face. Never have I ever thought she'd be so happy to see me again.

"I'm so glad that you came." I pull back and look at her. She looks really happy. Even free if that is what you can call it. "Of course I would came. I meant it when I said that I want to rebuild our friendship." She smiles and drags me by the arm. She wants to show me her new 'home'.

Everything is so beautiful here. The people are friendly. They greet with so much kindness. I didn't even think those kind of people still exists. "How are you doing ?" The question kind of leaves a bitter taste in my mouth but Sky doesn't look bother by it. "It takes some getting used to. Everyone is so kind and friendly. You kind of wait at firat to see when thw big bomb is dropped. Where everyone becames mean but it never happend."

We make ourselves comfortable in thw garden. Not to far away there are small children playing hide and seek. "It helps, Lara. To talk. To speak your truth even when it hurts." I play with my fingers. The truth might just destroy me. "I'm scared of tomorrow." She places her hand on mine. "It's okay to be afraid it means you still have something to lose. To fight for. You should be worried when you are not scared."

"Here they taught us the moment you don't fear death anymore it the moment you have nothing to life for anymore. There is nothing to loss. No matter how much you try and fight it would be a useless battle." How did life get so messed up. Not to long ago I was happy with my boyfriend and best friends. The only good thing now is the fact that Sky and I are rebuilding our friendship.

"I texted Clay to came over too." My head jerks up. Clay hates me. He was my very best friend at a time and now he hates me. "He hates me." Sky shakes her head. "He doesn't hate you. He hates your choices." Which means he hates me. It was my choice to became this version of myself.

"He is also a little judgmental. Sees as if everyone in the world is wrong except him. He lives the perfect life even though he denies it." I smile. There is mot different way to describe him. "Give him time. Show him your heart hasn't changed." I nod and we sat there for a few more hours before I decided I needed to go now.

My parents would totally kill me if I'm late for dinner especially tonight. On my way outside I see Clay walking in. He spots me and then freeze. I stare at him and then he storms at me. "Who the hell do you think you are !?" I don't flinch. Not even slightly. "I used to be your best friend. I screwed it up and I'm trying to fix it."

He laughs and look at me. "Well then try harder." As he bumps past me I grab his arm. "I am. You're the one that keeps pushing me to the side. If Sky can give me another chance why can't you ?" He looks me dead in the eye. "Because I'm not Sky." Nodding at his words. "You're also not the guy I wanted to be friends with. He never judged my mistakes."

I storm off towards my car. Leaving Clay to swallow my words. Tears are streaming down my face as I walk into my house. Mom just looks at me as I walk up tge stairs. Dad is probably working late again. I look my bedroom door and break down on the floor.

After what felt like hours I decided to send Montgomery a quick text.

Babe ❤

Safe at home. Talk to you
tomorrow. I love you xx

Putting my phone on silence I climb into bed. Grab the closest pillow and hug it against my body. With the worries about tomorrow's trail in my head I drifted off.