Chapter 47

« Lady Angel »

Miyuki stared wide eyed at the land of rubble and dirt that was now Konoha, shakily stepping backwards.

(Help them help them help them help them-)

(She can't.)

She stared down at Kakashi's dead body, trapped between rubble and debris.

"Did.. I do this?"

"I did this, didn't I?" Miyuki whispered. "Why didn't I stop Nii-San from doing this in the first place?"

Shakily inhaling she startled as every body around was covered in chakra, eyes fluttering open. Miyuki slid her mask on, swiftly moving the debris apart and lifting Kakashi out, laying him down and healing his crushed hip bone.

Blearily, Kakashi blinked down at her, registering her cloak and mask. She pressed a finger to his masked mouth, tears falling through the eyeholes of her mask.

"It's the least I can do," she whispered. "I'm sorry."

Naruto and Konan appeared out of nowhere, the latter holding out a bouquet of paper flowers to him.

Naruto took them, nodding silently and turning away.

The woman stumbled backwards a little when something barrelled into her right leg, arms snaking around her waist. "Konan-Neechan?" She whispered. Konan simply pet her hair, looking down sadly.

Miyuki felt angry. Betrayed. Lied to. "He told me no one else would have to die, Konan-nee," she whispered tearily. "He told me they wouldn't have to die. But Itachi-nii's dead and now Leader-sama is too—" her voice broke, helplessly dropping her arms from around Konan's waist. "I'm sorry. It's all my fault.."

"Yuu-chan," Konan said quietly. "It's not your fault."

"Then whose is it?" She whispered, looking around. "Whose is it? I could have stopped him from doing all this in the first place. It is my fault."

Konan shut her eyes. "You are only a child, Yuu-chan. Do not blame yourself."

Miyuki hiccuped, bowing to the bluenette. "I'm sorry for your loss, Konan-nee."

A small, slightly pained smile appeared on her lips. "Let us go back to the base. We will..inform everyone."

Miyuki straightened, eyes wide with realisation.

"That's it!" She whispered in shock.

All she needed was Obito's permission, and maybe no one else would need to die. She was tired of her family being killed, tired of the constant cycle of death that she could prevent.

And she would prevent it this time.

She swore on all of her lives.

::

Konan called a meeting immediately, summoning the remaining Akatsuki to the main room, Miyuki sitting straight with her eyes shadowed.

"Un, Yuu-chan, are you alright?" Deidara asked, raising an eyebrow. Hidan glanced at her, unimpressed.

"Fine."

Tobi bounced into the room, sitting down next to Kakuzu, who grunted.

Zetsu silently observed them from behind the thing-that-is-definitely-a-venus-fly-trap.

Konan cleared her throat quietly. "Pein-sama is dead."

A silence.

"Huh?" Hidan asked smartly.

Konan sighed. "As I was second in command," she continued expressionlessly, "I am taking over as leader of the Akatsuki. If you have anything to say, say it now."

Miyuki rose her hand immediately, staring straight at Tobi. "May I...suggest something, Konan-sama?"

She nodded, as did Tobi minutely.

Miyuki sighed. "I want you all to join the shinobi alliance."

Obito's eye widened, gaze snapping to her in both confusion and shock.

"Shinobi what now?" Hidan spat. "I thought this peace shit was a group thing."

"Our plan," Miyuki began, cursing when her voice wavered. "Is to have all the shinobi nations to ally together. I want all of you to join the alliance to ensure your survival."

Obito thought it over after internal struggle. Initially he had planned to simply kill the Akatsuki, excluding Miyuki of course, to avoid any distractions. Did she care about the people in the organisation that much? She had certainly been distraught when she found out about the deaths of Sasori, Itachi and Kisame. Even Pein, and she wasn't that close to him anyways. The minority of him, the good part, agreed with her suggestion. The majority, however, was hesitant.

"I'm immortal, brat," Hidan snorted.

"As am I," Kakuzu muttered.

"You can still die, though," Miyuki argued. "Say, Hidan is buried alive. He either starves to death or is unable to perform his rituals. Or say someone destroys all five of your hearts. There's so many possibilities you aren't thinking of!"

"Tobi agrees."

Miyuki's eyes widened.

"Very well," Konan muttered, frowning in confusion at Tobi's claim.

After the meeting was adjourned, Miyuki turned to Konan silently.

"I will not be joining the alliance with you," she said quietly. "I have a purpose I must fulfill, and as much as I would like to join you, I will be loyal to Madara-sama till the day I die."

Even if she didn't want to be.

A/N

I love the Akatsuki too much.
I couldn't let them die.
Not all of them, anyways.

~Author-Nee