Home?

Trigger Warning: Violence, Domestic Abuse?, Mentions of Bullying, Cuss Words

Adora's POV

Another day of school, another day of problems. Today was really nice though. I made a friend! Catra seemed really nice, I wonder why everyone thinks she's not. Maybe she wasn't very nice before? Or maybe she's just socially awkward. I guess I'll find out eventually.

I got off the bus and walked home. My parents aren't poor but they aren't wealthy either. They could probably only put me through the first year of college though. College is really expensive. That's why I need that scholarship.

I knocked on the door, hoping only one of them was home. It's unbearable when both are home. The constant fighting is really tiring.

I could hear shouting even from outside. Oh no...

I unlocked the door and stepped inside. I tried to do it quietly, without alerting them.  As I took my first step I stumbled on a shoe and fell. I found my balance before I hit the floor but I made noise.

"Adora? Are you home?"

"Yeah mom."

"Come here child. Your mom is being impossible again." my dad said sternly. 

I don't like getting involved in their fights. They blame me when they lose. 

I walked to them, despite wanting to do the opposite. I don't know what they'd do to me if I didn't listen to them. I'd probably get grounded.

"Adora, tell your father he's wrong!"

"I'm not wrong! You are!"

"What's happening?" I asked.

"Your father expects me to do the cleaning all the time!"

"I work all day! You hang out with your friends or stay at home!"

"I'm self employed! I work too!"

"Translating books isn't hard! You aren't that tired!"

"I am! You should do the chores!"

"I do the chores on weekends! You do them on weekdays!"

"Five vs two. That's not fair!"

"I work harder!"

I just wanted to get away. I knew this wasn't actually an issue for them, they just wanted a reason to argue.

"Adora?"

"Umm, I don't know. Can I go to my room? I have a lot of homework."

"Alright go. This isn't over woman!"

"Don't use that word like a cuss word!"

"I didn't!"

I sighed and went up to my room. They fought like that everyday. I wish they got along. And I wish they didn't involve me. This time I got lucky.

When I got back down for dinner they were in different rooms. Mom in their bedroom, dad in his office.

Quiet. Good. I got myself some leftovers from yesterday and heated it up in the microwave. When it was ready I ate it in silence and went back up. I had already done my homework so I tried to sleep. And I did. For a short while.

I woke up to screaming.

No one's POV

Adora got up and sleepily walked to the door. What she heard soon destroyed every crumb of sleepiness she had left.

"HOW DARE YOU?!! YOU FUCKING CHEATED ON ME?"

"OH LIKE YOU DIDN'T. SHE TOLD ME EVERYTHING. HOW YOU TOLD HER YOU WERE SINGLE. HOW YOU **********(you get the idea, I won't elaborate)"

"OH DID SHE? DID SHE TELL YOU TO CHEAT ON ME? I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, SHE'S A LIAR! YOU'RE THE ONLY CHEATER HERE!"

"I HAVE PROOF! BESIDES, I KNOW YOU DON'T LOVE ME! YOU ONLY PUT UP WITH ME BECAUSE OF ADORA! SHE'S THE ONLY REASON YOU'RE STILL HERE!"

"...I WOULD HAVE LEFT YOU IF YOU DIDN'T FORCE ME TO STAY BY HAVING THE BABY!"

Is...is this true? Am I the reason they're fighting everyday? Am I the reason for their unhappiness? Am I just a result of child trapping?

No, he stayed. That must mean he loves me, right?

Right...?

Adora was forced back to reality by the sound of shattering glass. She looked over the railing and gasped. Her father was holding a broken glass bottle. His hands were bloodied. Her mom didn't look scared at all. Instead, she looked angrier. She threw a punch at her husband. He dodged it and punched back.

Adora backed away, breathing heavily. This can't be happening, this has to be a dream right? Her parents aren't hitting each other, yeah she's just dreaming. She pinched herself. No use, it hurt. This was real. Very real. The two people she loved most were hurting each other. She looked over the railing again to see her mom holding the bottle, now both her parents had blood on their hands.

She watched as they screamed at each other, getting a little physical and using their fists sometimes. She couldn't make out the screaming anymore, it felt like the world was spinning and collapsing around her. She gasped for air. She couldn't breathe. She ran back into her room and collapsed on her bed. She curled up in a ball, tears streaming down her face, she pulled the covers over herself. It felt like she was gonna puke, she felt so nauseous. She took deep breaths to calm down. She couldn't think, her thoughts were all scrambled up. 

She waited and eventually was able to breathe. She kept sobbing, no one could hear her anyway. She eventually fell asleep, her cheeks stained by tears.

Wow this is ... I don't have personal experience about this and it feels unrealistic. This was the best I could do though.