| 7 |

Project: Child

7

Week 7.

TWO DAYS AGO THE WINTER Soldier had been sent on his first mission. His target was a retired HYDRA agent, though that didn't exist within HYDRA. Retirement meant death, and the Winter Soldier was supposed to kill him.

Melanie was more than outraged when he didn't return in the first three hours after he was sent on his mission. When he didn't return for a whole day she trashed her office. And finally, when he didn't return for the second day, she sent out a search party, led by Vasily Karpov himself. The Winter Soldier had remembered himself, enough to make him run. But he was sedated and dragged back to the base, and now she was frustrated.

They were back to square one.

She was used to always getting her way, yet here she was, standing in front of the Winter Soldier who was supposed to be perfect and mindless. He sat in a chair, metal clamps keeping his arms in place. His eyes were wide with fear and anxiety as he frantically looked around the room.

"Он провалил свою первую миссию?"

He failed his first mission?

She sneered at Karpov who let out a sigh.

As the Colonel supervising the Winter Soldier's progress and the one who created him, he knew whether or not the Winter Soldier was ready for a mission. And Karpov knew the solder wasn't ready, yet Melanie had insisted he go on one.

"Он еще не был готов."

He wasn't ready yet.

He replied shortly and firmly, shutting up Melanie easily.

"Where is she?" The Winter Soldier said loudly, sadness flickering behind his eyes. "Where's Angelika? What did you do to me?!"

"Солдат-" Karpov started but he was quickly cut off.

"My name is Bucky!" He roared angrily. "This is HYDRA I don't- I don't- I'm an American soldier. What did you do to me? Why did I-" His voice lowered, sounding like a cornered child.

"Why did I kill them?" He whimpered and Karpov blew through his nose in annoyance.

"Arnim." Karpov said sharply, and the man he seemed to never be able to get along with turned to look at the colonel.

"Bring the girl."

___________________

Angelika was smacking her head against the wall of her cell. She gripped her hair tightly, pulling ferociously. It had been two days since she had been separated from the Winter Soldier, and she was hysterical. Some moments she'd be silently in her cell, before she'd start screaming for no reason. She did have her reasons, and it wasn't because she was crazy, it's because she was arguing with herself on whether or not to leave the base.

She knew escaping would be a literal suicide mission, that's why she screamed. To block out the voices that told her to kill everyone and everything in the base so she could leave and find the Winter Soldier. She hated being alone, and she missed her papa more than anything.

Her hands gripped her fleece blanket tightly as she suddenly stopped hitting her head against the wall. She let go of her hair before letting out a blood curdling scream. The door to her room suddenly opened and she stopped screaming at the sight of Arnim who stepped inside, grabbing her arm and dragging her out of the room.