| 28 |

CA: TWS

28

2014, the same day.

ANGELIKA HAD PONDERED over death before. She was just a child, but the thought had lingered with her for all her life. She experienced things no child should have experienced, and it was almost as if death awaited her with open arms.

She thought death would bring peace, that's why she didn't fight against the water that dragged her down to the bottom of the Potomac river.

Her lungs were burning for air- and though she had been water tortured before, this was different. It was almost a calming pain.

She shut her eyes, feeling selfish for leaving her papa to live on his own.

Her papa.

Her eyes snapped open and she looked around in panic.

Did she seriously lose her mind?

She couldn't leave her papa to live on his own!

She knew he would never be able to forgive himself if he knew she died. She started to swim upwards, but her arms felt heavy. She tried her best to pull herself up, but nothing was working.

She let out a panicked scream underwater.

Something snaked around her waist and she gasped, kicking whatever fish had swam around her, only it wasn't a fish.

She was dragged upwards and she felt the sun shine on her face.

She gasped, coughing and sputtering as she desperately tried to breathe.

She felt herself get dragged onto shore and she looked up to see her papa.

He huffed, sitting down besides her.

She breathed deeply before sitting up.

"Thank you Angie." He said softly and she looked at him, surprised and confused.

The Winter Soldier should've been mad at the girl, but he was relieved.

"I knew him." He pointed to something or someone behind her and she turned her head to see Steve laying in the sand, his eyes shut.

"I think. . .he was a friend." He said quietly and she was relieved to see the man was still breathing.

The Winter Soldier had almost killed his friend. . .was he still his friend? Probably not. He did just try to kill him.

The soldier had jumped back into the water to find Angelika and the man's shield. He had also grabbed Angelika's blanket on the way up and she noticed.

She reached forward, taking her soaked blanket.

The Winter Soldier placed Steve's shield besides him.

Angelika crawled over to Steve, before glancing back at her papa.

"You can heal him." He said softly and she placed her hands on Steve's wounds, gently healing them.

The man coughed, eyes fluttering open.

Angelika flinched back, slightly afraid he would shout like he had done so before.

He didn't speak to her, instead shifting his gaze to look at the soldier.

"Bucky." He said and the soldier stiffened.

Angelika finished healing Steve and the soldier stood up.

"Angie we have to go." The soldier said firmly and she looked at him sadly.