| 42 |

CA: CW

42

The next day at the airport.

ANGELIKA SAT BESIDES BUCKY with a small pout on her face. Bucky was sitting behind Sam, whilst she was sitting in the middle seat. The pair were squished together and she wouldn't have minded, if it wasn't for the huge seat besides her Bucky wasn't letting her in.

"The safest seat of a car is the backseat, middle seat." Bucky said as they drove down the street.

"But-" Angelika protested as she tried to move to the other seat.

Bucky grabbed her with his normal arm, shaking his head.

"If a car hits you from that side you'll be dead in seconds. If a car hits us from my side I'll be the one to get hurt. If a car hits us from the front, Steve and Sam are your shield." He explained and Angelika crossed her arms over her chest stubbornly.

"Wait, did you just call me a shield?" Sam said, turning his head to look at Bucky who stiffened slightly.

"Yes," he said coldly, "theoretically speaking you'd be a shield for me."

Sam turned back around, leaning back into his seat.

"I don't think I want to sit in the front anymore." He mumbled under his breath and Steve paused.

"You called shotgun." He said and Sam rolled his eyes.

"Yeah well I didn't know I'd be serving as the Winter Soldier's shield." He grumbled and Steve frowned.

"Whatever. . ." She said before pausing, looking up at Bucky with panicked eyes.

"What is it?" He asked quickly, worry flickering behind his eyes.

"My homework!" She blurted. "I forgot about my homework."

The worry in Bucky's eyes quickly disappeared as he let out a relieved sigh.

"I thought you forgot something important." He said and she dropped her mouth open.

"My homework is important, papa! Ms. Aldea checks it everyday." Angelika protested and he stared at her.

"Angie, I don't know if it's hit you yet," he said softly, gently patting her shoulder, "but we're on the run. Again."

Angelika paused, looking up at him. She hadn't realized they were really going to do this- this being on the run, trying to fight HYDRA all over again, or well, other Winter Soldiers. Truth be told, Angelika didn't want to believe the man would wake the other soldier's up. They were stronger than her papa- there was no denying that.

She breathed out a long sigh.

"I don't like running." She said sadly and Bucky ruffled her hair, giving her a small sad smile.

"Me either, little angel." He said, before shaking his head. "But we don't have a choice."

"Why can't they see papa didn't do anything?" She said, sniffling. "Papa didn't want to do it, it wasn't papa's fault."

"I know." He said softly and Angelika hugged him tightly.

"What if. . .they come to take us away again?" She asked tearfully and Bucky bit the inside of his lip, before giving her a reassuring look.

"If they do, things will just go back to how it used to be." He said gently.

Bucky was being honest. He wasn't sure if Rumlow knew the words that would trigger the Winter Soldier inside of him. He had no idea how he would react, and even if he pummeled HYDRA to the ground, he was sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to not tranq him.