| 35 |

On The Run

35

Sam's house, the same day.

BUCKY OBSERVED SAM'S house as the three of them entered the place.

It seemed quite cozy and normal, something Bucky wasn't used to.

He placed Angelika on the ground and she clutched onto his sweatpants as Sam walked over towards the kitchen area.

"You hungry?" Sam asked as he pulled open his fridge, grabbing a container of Chinese take-out.

Bucky glanced down at Angelika whose eyes glittered at the sight of fried rice.

Bucky frowned, shaking his head at Sam.

"She can't eat that." He said and Sam raised an eyebrow.

"She? I was talking about both of you." He said and Bucky seemed slightly surprised the man was trying to give him food too.

Bucky slowly realized just how hungry he was. He hadn't eaten in a few days, or well, he hadn't eaten his nutritional concoction he was allowed to eat.

"Soup." Bucky said quietly. "We can eat soup."

Sam frowned slightly, wondering why they had to eat soup, and nothing else. That's why he asked.

"Why can't you eat fried rice? You guys allergic?" He asked nonchalantly as he grabbed a few ingredients to make his signature tomato basil soup.

Bucky stiffened as he watched Sam.

"We didn't eat. Not used to it." He said hesitantly, not sure if he should trust Sam with any information on HYDRA.

He shouldn't be revealing anything about them anyway. That was strictly against protocol.

Bucky scoffed inside his mind, brushing away his thoughts.

Running away from HYDRA was against protocol, and he was worried about letting HYDRA secrets out? That was the last thing he should care about.

"You don't. . .you didn't eat?" Sam said in disbelief as he grabbed a few fresh tomatoes from the fridge, grabbing a knife in the process.

He could never imagine a life without food, and if they hadn't eaten- how were they still alive?

How cruel was HYDRA?

Bucky's eyes widened at the sight of the sharp weapon, glaring at Sam intently as he started to slice the tomatoes.

Bucky's glare disappeared, realizing Sam was just using it for it's actual purpose. His eyes never left Sam as he continued to look at him tensely.

Sam looked up, waiting for Bucky to reply. He looked down at the knife in his hands, then back up at Bucky.

The pair stared at each other.

"Shit, sorry. . .I promise I'm just going to use it to cut the tomatoes." Sam said, noticing Bucky's obvious discomfort.

His eyes shifted towards Angelika who was trembling besides Bucky. She was staring at the knife in his hand too.

"Ah double sorry!" Sam groaned, placing the knife down as he tried not to beat himself up for his stupidity.

There was an assassin in his house, along with a kid who's probably been through a lot of crap, and he was treating them like normal people.

They were far from normal, and the Winter Soldier could kill him with his bare hands.