| 45 |

CA: CW

45

Siberia.

HELMUT ZEMO SAT on top of the HYDRA base, ignoring the cold that nipped at his ears and nose.

He placed a phone to his ear, listening to the voicemail of his wife, one of the last things he had left of her. He pushed back tears as her sweet voice came over the phone.

"You should've seen his little face, just try okay?" The voice paused. "I'm going to bed, I love you."

He sighed, turning off his phone.

He leaned back, pausing as he heard the sound of small footsteps. He turned his head slightly to see the Winter Soldier's child, the little girl staring at him with wide eyes of fear.

Angelika had run like she'd been told to, but she didn't know where to go, so she found herself standing atop the base.

She was afraid of the man who had caused this chaos, yet she felt sympathetic for him.

She had heard his voicemail, and she knew he must've missed the woman.

"You were not supposed to be tangled with this." Zemo said as he turned his head back around.

Angelika hesitantly stepped forwards.

When he didn't react she sat down a few feet away from him.

"You're just a child. . ." He said softly, turning to look at her once again. "I had a child, a family."

Angelika watched him, wondering why he was telling her all of this.

"But. . .they're all gone." He looked down, shutting his eyes slightly.

Zemo was going to kill himself anyway, so he found no reason not to pour out his feelings to a complete kid, even if she was terrified of him.

He expected her to step away, leave, or even attack him for doing what he had done.

Instead, he felt a small trembling hand cover his.

He opened his eyes, looking up at Angelika who's bottom lip quivered in fear.

Angelika searched his eyes with uncertainty. Once she was sure he had no intention of hurting her she gave him a small smile, not of sympathy, but of reassurance and forgiveness.

She gave him a look of understanding, as if to say 'I would do the same'.

"I have no doubts your father will survive." He said slowly. "Ironman and Captain America are the two that may not survive."

That didn't give her any feeling of reassurance as she held the man's hand a bit tighter.

"You're hurt." She whispered and he looked at her, tilting his head slightly.

"You never moved on." She continued, her voice small as she bravely spoke. "I tried. . .but you brought my papa here. You wouldn't let us escape."

She moved her hand from his, looking away from him.

"Don't you. . .want to be free?" She asked softly, turning her head to look at him.

He looked down at the gun in his lap. He grabbed it, fiddling with the handle.

Angelika tensed, wondering if he was going to kill her, right here.

But he didn't, instead looking ahead.