Chapter 15: beginning of the past

Growing up together with Shin Ryujin was what Yeji will say when people ask, "How are you two so close?"

Proudly growing up sharing one burnt braincell along with Yeji's cousin, Hwang Hyunjin, is what Yeji would say when people ask her to elaborate.

She could remember the time her and Ryujin first saw a superhero movie, so amazed by it that Yeji jumped from their house's roof, thinking she could fly.

We all know how that played out.

They treated each other like sisters, until Yeji developed a tiny crush on Ryujin when she saw Ryujin pitch for the first time. Staring at her in awe, and mind you, Yeji was just ten at the time.

She already knew she was not straight.

Yeji was happy, to be Ryujin's one and only best friend and childhood friend. Keeping that spot as long as she could, she swore that.

But when they became high school students, Ryujin landed a bomb on Yeji and it not only caused Yeji to feel.. jealous, it also made her confused.

It also resulted in chaos.

You see, there's this boy in their school, Choi Beomgyu. Handsome, charming, talented, they could call him God if they wanted. On top of all that, he's nice. Every girl swooned at the sight of him, but some didn't, especially boys.

Also, being friends with four other handsome looking dudes can make people think, "wow, God took his time on making them"

"Why does it look like Beomgyu has a cult?" Ryujin once asked out of nowhere when the two of them were sitting on the bleachers, taking a break from playing baseball.

Yeji frowns. "Because that's what it looks like. I bet you, every girl in this school has a shrine of him at home." She jokes as Ryujin bursts out laughing.

Yeji liked seeing Ryujin laugh, it made her heart flutter. When she was young, she thought this feelings were just a mere crush and it'll go away.

But now that she was in high school, she still has these feelings towards Ryujin and maybe.. maybe it's not a crush anymore.

"How do you know? Do you have a shrine of him at home too?"

"What?? Gross! No!"

They spend time like this. Talking about useless things, laughing at stuff that aren't even funny. That was their routine.

Though it changed when one day, they were taking stuff from their lockers. Beomgyu walked along the halls, like he normally does, hands in his pockets.

Yeji had a poker face on as she stared at him, walking. Turning her head towards Ryujin, she frowns.

Seeing that her best friend had this look on her face. Flustered? Nervous? Anxious? Yeji doesn't know but it shows the expression of being awestruck.

Looking back at Beomgyu, now Yeji noticed the small girl that was walking beside him. Brown hair, cold aura, pretty face. How much can Yeji describe this girl?

A basic Korean girl.

"A transfer student?" Yeji mutters as Ryujin unconsciously nods, as her eyes followed the girl. "Beomgyu's girlfriend?" Ryujin instantly turned her head towards Yeji.

Frowning so hard at her, "Impossible! That wouldn't be it!" She said as if she's defending the girl. Yeji was a bit taken aback because of Ryujin's sudden change of mood.

She didn't know that what she said can easily affect Ryujin like this. "Woah, chill, don't shout. I was just genuinely curious." Yeji has her hands up in the air as Ryujin sighs.