Chapter XXXI

-Y/N'S POV-

It's finally time. It's the last day of the GMG. The last event. The battle between Sabertooth and Fairy Tail. I know it will have to be me who fights, and I can't afford to lose. If I win, Fairy Tail will have enough points to pull ahead of Sabertooth, but if I lose, or even tie, then I've blown it. I'm waiting with my guild at our balcony. But I'm completely silent. Going over spells and attacks in my head, coming up with strategies to help me win.
I know exactly what spell I have to use in order to beat him. But I won't be able to use it right off the bat. I have to wear my opponent down before. Assuming that it's Sting or Rogue I'll be facing, they won't fall down just like that. And they're not going to play it easy either.
"Ladies and gentlemen! It's time for the last event of this year's Grand Magic Games— there's one final battle to determine the top guild in Fiore!" Mato announces.
"Now, to announce the final two competitors... from Fairy Tail, we have Y/n L/n! And from the Sabertooth guild, Sting Eucliffe!"
I knew it. My guildmates wish me luck and I make my way down to the arena. I know what I have to do.
"Alright, you know the rules! You have ten minutes! You can win by putting the other competitor out of commission or getting them to surrender. The winning team receives ten points and the loser gets zero! If both wizards are standing at the end of the time limit, both teams will be awarded five points! Now, are you ready?!" Mato exclaims.
"Hey cutie," Sting greets me.
"Hey Sting," I reply.
"I hope you already know that I can't go easy on you here," the blond dragon slayer states.
"Wouldn't dream of it," I smirked.
"On your marks, get set, GO!" Mato screams.

-3RD PERSON POV-

The two mages stood there for a second before Sting came charging at Y/n.
"Alright Y/n, I don't want to hurt you, so I'll make this quick!" Sting shouts. "White Dragon: Holy Nova!"
Y/n just stood there with a smile in response and jumped out of the way before Sting's attack could hit her.
"I think you're underestimating me Sting. Don't you remember that I'm a dragon slayer too?" she laughed. "Water Dragon: Iron Fist!" She counterattacked. Her attack barely missed Sting's arm and she shot past him.
"Oh I haven't forgotten. But there's no way you can beat me. Say, why don't we make a bet while we're here?" Sting offered with a smirk.
"Oh? What do you have in mind Sting?" She remained in a battle stance, ready to go at any moment.
"Here's my end: If I win our little battle, you'll quit that pathetic Fairy Tail guild and join Sabertooth."
Y/n flinched. She wasn't one to back down from a bet, but this was different. She couldn't risk abandoning her family. Not after everything they've helped her through. But she wouldn't allow her guild's name to be tarnished by the likes of Sabertooth.
Meanwhile in the Fairy Tail stands, her guild mates were panicking. They were genuinely concerned for Y/n. What if she lost? They would lose her. Not only was she a strong wizard, but she was part of their family.
"Really? You think I'd join a guild like yours? Well I don't plan on losing you know. I accept your offer. So here's my part of the deal," the h/c haired dragon slayer replied. Sting smirked.
"If I win, you will provide me with a year's supply of strawberry cakes."
The entire arena sweatdropped at the same time. Did they hear her correctly? Sting wants her to leave her guild, and she asks for cake? What is this girl thinking?
"That's it? You're on Y/n. I won't lose to you," Sting grinned.
The two continued fighting on. It was an equally matched battle, and nobody could tell for sure who the winner would be.

-Y/N'S POV-

The time is almost up. It's now or never if I'm going to use this attack. It's a really powerful spell. I've been practicing it forever but I can't seem to get it right. I have to focus all of my magic energy into this if I'm going to get it right.
"What's wrong Y/n? Can't keep up?" Sting asked as he noticed my stop moving around.
I just closed my eyes.
"You know, you should just give up right now. Let me win this. You'd be better off in my guild anyway. All those stupid fairies are doing is holding you back. You could be so much more if you just left them!" Sting shouted.
I thought of all of my friends in my guild. They have waited for the Tenrou Team to return for so long. They've gone through enough. I'm not going to just stand here and let Sting insult them like this.
"Take it back Sting."
"And why should I? I like you a lot Y/n. You belong in Sabertooth with me."
"Take it back."
My hair started flowing around me as my magic energy increased. This spell is going to work. I can feel it. The magic energy coursing through my veins. It's going to work. I can win this.
"I'm not going to stand here and let you tarnish the Fairy Tail guile's name!" I opened my eyes. "You had better prepare yourself Sting."
I saw him smirk. His magic energy was growing stronger too.
"I won't take a single word back. You belong in Sabertooth, Y/n."
That was it. I pushed off of the ground, propelled by my magic and shot towards Sting at the other side of the arena. He did the same.
I pulled my fist back and started chanting my spell, "Dragon Slayer Secret Art: Cerulean Typhoon!"
"White Dragon: Drive!"
"Time is up!"
My magic energy dispersed. I was frozen. I... I ran out of time. I blew it. This can't be happening...
"Both wizards are still standing! The result is a draw! Fairy Tail and Sabertooth tie!" My hair covered my eyes. No way.
"Sabertooth wins the Grand Magic Games!"

hi everyone! i finally updated. i have a really important announcement to make regarding this story and some other news i would like to share. so please head over to my account @sweetandsour678 to see this announcement! it's really important and i would love to hear any feedback you may have. thanks for the love everyone 💞