Chapter XXXII

-3RD PERSON POV-
     Sting was surprised too. He thought he'd win the battle for sure. Nonetheless, he was still glad that his guild came out on top. Fairy Tail finished in second. And even though his and Y/n's bet wouldn't be fulfilled, he still felt a sense of pride.
     Y/n turned and left the arena. She couldn't face Sting. She was devastated. Her guild mates met her in the hallway and immediately began consoling her.
     "Don't worry Y/n, second place is still good!"
     "Yeah! You did really well, so don't be too hard on yourself."
     The h/c haired girl paid no attention to their attempts to lift her spirits. She was still processing the fact that she had blown the match. But she didn't want her family to worry, so she plastered a fake grin onto her face.
     "I'm okay... just a little tired after all of that. I think Miso and I will head back to the hotel. See you all there," she said as her and her gray exceed exited the Domus Flau arena. The rest of the Fairy Tail members glanced at the duo and shared saddened looks amongst themselves. They knew she was only saying that too make them worry less. It didn't work.

-Y/N'S POV-

     I cant believe this. I lost. Well, not technically, but still. That tie hurt more than any loss I've experienced. Not that I usually lose, though. The last time I lost was to Zyko. And that destroyed my entire village. But this... I let my guild down. All of that talk that very one has been saying... how strong I am... I've let them down too.
     And to make matters worse, I lost to Sting and his stupid guild. His ego must be doing well.
     "Y/n?" Miso says gently. I nod, acknowledging that I heard her. "You know that no one in the guild blames you, right? You did your best, and we still got secon-"
     "Yeah I know, but second isn't good enough. Fairy Tail has been through enough. I let everyone down. I need to work harder and make it up to them."
     I stopped walking. There was a determined look on my face, a fire in my eyes.
     "Miso, we're going on a mission."

-TIMESKIP TO WHEN THEY ARE BACK AT THE GUILD, THIRD PERSON POV-

     "Master, can I talk to you?" The water dragon slayer asked Macao.
     The man looked up from the issue of Sorcerer Weekly he was reading. "Yeah, kiddo, what's up?"
     "I let the guild down at the Grand Magic Games. You were all depending on me... trusting me to win that battle... and I blew it,' I started.
     "Y/n, you fought the best you could and nobody blames you for tha-" Macao interrupted.
     "Which is why I am asking your permission to go on a training leave. My best wasn't enough to defend Fairy Tail's honor, so I want to get better so that I can return and prove myself. I just wanted to ask to be sure you guys can deal with the Twilight Ogre guild while I'll be away."
     At this point, the entire guild had tuned in to the conversation between the master and the water dragon slayer.
     "Y/n, first of all, not a single member of this guild thinks that us not winning was because of you. You are the reason that our guild is the second most prestigious guild in all of Fiore. Without you here, we would still be dead last," Macao began.
     "And second, well be fine with Twilight Ogre. You're not the only strong member of this guild. The Grand Magic Games have given us a chance to prove our worth as a wizard guild. We cant be relying on some little girl to be holding up our entire reputation," he laughed.
     Y/n pouts. "I am not little!"
     "If a training leave is what you need, the new wont try to stop you. As the acting master of the Fairy Tail guild, I am obligated to allow each of the members here to grow and advance their abilities. So you know what kiddo? Go for it. Just dont be away from home too long!"
     Y/n, with tears bubbling at the corners of her eyes, let out a huge smile as she was engulfed by a giant Fairy Tail group hug.
     "Don't worry, I'll be back before you know it."
     And just like that, Y/n, accompanied by her trusty exceed, were off to a beach city to stay for a while to train and study magic.