Throwing Punches

"Can you teach me how to fight, h-how to defend myself?" It was a risky, selfish request to make in Sola's opinion. It would take up Lizzy's already small pool of free time to teach her.

Still, it felt right to ask her, "You're a trained field medic right, do you guys get basic fighting training too?" It had only been an assumption up until that point, but once Lizzy turned to look and nod at her from across the table they were eating at, at the back of the room, it was clear she'd been correct.

"Why do you want to learn that, I...I mean I know why but" The incident the day prior was still fresh in both of their minds. Of course Lizzy understood, self defence was an unfortunate necessity in the universe, especially for woman, especially for woman in the Resistance who were part of a building war.

"You know you shouldn't have to, you're a mechanic Sola, you-" The medic was trying to be genuinely helpful when she spoke, Sola knew what she was hinting at. That the sheer need to know these things was a ridiculous concept for someone who worked on machinery all day, even if she knew exactly why she wanted to learn such skills. A sad reality of their time.

"I know...but please, I'd feel a lot better" The blond tilted her head down at her with a small smile which she hoped conveyed her understanding. Lizzy picked up on it easily and sighed with a smile of her own.

"Of course I will, but I only know the basics, you'd be a lot better off learning from an actual soldier" The brunette confessed after taking a small bite of her breakfast. Sola didn't have the bravery to even guess what was in their bowls that day, she'd rather eat and not think about it.

"You could ask Poe-"

Sola choked on her food and spat it back into her bowl with wide eyes, it resulted in a loud obnoxious laugh from Lizzy.

"I'm n-not asking Commander Dameron!"

"You still call him that?"

Lizzy was teasing her again with a sly smirk that caused the mechanic to avoid her eyes to try and deny whatever would follow.

"Yes, I mean, that is his name, it's the right thing to do..." Sola's reason was a weak one but she stuck to it. Manners. Respect, was the reason.

"He told me he prefers when people call him Poe, makes him feel more like an actual person, rather than a symbol of the Resistance" That made Sola's eyes bolt up in surprise.
They'd spoken?

"He said that?"

Lizzy knew that would catch the mechanics attention, she'd picked up on the obvious infatuation her friend had with the pilot ages ago. Shrugging, she dropped the spoon she'd been using to eat back into her empty bowl "He also said you should stop working yourself to death"

"I'm not working myself to death" Sola frowned trying to defend herself of something she knew was probably right.

"You skip meals everyday and I don't see you until midnight some nights, you do realise that isn't healthy? I would know, I'm basically a doctor"

How could she argue with someone with actual medical knowledge?!

"Yet, you don't know how to change a fuse"

That made Lizzy snort and hold back a laugh, her bushy brown tied back hair shaking gently on her head, "Least I can talk to the girls I like".

She was right of course, and it shut the blond mechanic up in an instant.

"When did you and Poe even get to talk?" Not that she had any right to ask that sort of thing. Poe could talk to absolutely anyone he liked, anytime he wanted to. She was simply surprised Lizzy hadn't mentioned it earlier.