Saving What We Love

With a start, Poe awoke from his forced, deserved, slumber. "No, no, no!" Jumping up and running to pound his hand against the glass window where Sola sat watching the Raddus cruiser. He'd unintentionally interrupted the two woman who were staring at each other in silent agreement across the ship, the mechanic leaning back a beat in surprise as he let out a loud sigh, his head dropping in defeat of what was happening as the cruiser was still being piloted away in the growing distance.

"Poe" Leia caught his attention from behind them on the opposite window, her head nodding gently for him to join her side. Sparing a glance at Sola, he walked over slowly, cautiously almost. The older woman had just stunned him only previously.

"What is that?" Poe sounded stunned, raising Sola's own curiosity enough to join them, she spotted the planet up in the distance. They were heading towards a planet!

D'acy, another woman from the bridge with blond curly hair spoke up behind them to explain, "The mineral planet, Crait. An uncharted hideout from the days of the Rebellion". The blond mechanic hadn't met her before, but she seemed to know what she was talking about.

"That's a Rebel base?" The pilot turned his head to look at her, hope was alight behind his eyes again.

"Abandoned, but heavily armoured" D'acy nodded at him "with enough power to get a distress signal to our allies scattered in the Outer Rim".

"That's our chance" The mumble was heard by none but Sola who uttered it under her breath astounded. They had a plan, and a damn good one. Of course they did, Sola let out a sigh of relief as she continued to watch the distant planet from beside Poe and Leia.

"Holdo knew the First Order was tracking our big ship" Leia continued to explain the Admiral's initial intentions to Poe "They're not monitoring for little transports".

Realisation was dawning on the curly man's face as he slid into the space beside Leia, "So we could slip down to the surface unnoticed and hide till the First Order passes" he was nodding at the blond officer, then at Sola, and finally back at General Organa seated in front of him. This was a good plan in his opinion too. "That could work".

Leia was smiling back at him with a nod of her own, "she was more interested in protecting the light than she was..." the older woman reached for Poe's arm, gently prying the tracking beacon Finn had trusted to him earlier from his wrist "seeming like a hero" She finished, because of course Holdo was not Poe, he was the one who came up with the reckless plans that made heroes, not the ones that were a little more...under the radar.

Sola hesitated but ultimately placed hand on Poe's shoulder as she stood by his side, the realisation of relief on his face had faded to regret of his own actions. As noble as his intentions had been, all he'd caused was more trouble for the Admiral and General.

Placing a hand over her own, he turned to peer out the window towards the cruiser on the opposite side of the ship again, his thoughts on his actions, on the Admiral most likely. "You didn't know Poe" Was all the blond said, the General agreed reluctantly with a small nod as her fingers traced the tracking beacon in her hands thoughtfully.

Explosions.

One after another, transports were being blasted from the space around them.  The First Order had found them, somehow. Everyone's eyes shot up in alarm, helplessly watching out of the glass windows as the derbies of ships scattered out around them.

Another, and Poe ran into the cockpit to yell "Come on, give it full thrusters. Full speed!"

"I am sir!" The pilot urged back.