Target Practice

Did she ever imagine she would be sent off base to do an assignment that involved the possible future location of the Resistance base? If you had asked her the day before, Sola would have said 'No kriffing way!'.

Yet, now, after having received the briefing by the General, and on her way to the shooting range to practice her skill, or lack thereof, with a blaster with Poe Dameron. Things had certainly changed.

As much as he disagreed with the General on taking her along, Poe hadn't said much else since they'd left the office. He was still debating in his head if he should try to convince either of the woman involved otherwise, but knew that once General Organa made up her mind, there wasn't much in the way of any discussion left. He could also do the brash thing and sneak away on his own? But somehow even that seemed like a stupid, unfair thing to do, especially to Sola.

His blond mechanic seemed to have her own mind made up, and who was he to deny her this important responsibility. She deserved a chance to prove herself, and her skill, to the Resistance.

"Have you ever held a blaster before?" Better to start from the beginning, there was no use in pressing a live weapon into her hand right off the bat and watching her blast the whole base to hell and back. Even if the concept made him laugh on the inside.

"....no..." Came her honest answer after a moment of hesitation, dreading to look, but ultimately making herself turn to the Commander as he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

Well at least that meant he didn't have to make her unlearn anything that could be considered a hinderance on how to handle the weapon. Though the time restraint the General had now put them under meant that he would have to teach her everything in a very short time.

"Good thing I'm a great shot" Poe boasted, causing Sola to shoot him an agitated, yet worried look. If she couldn't shoot a blaster by tomorrow, it meant if they did run into trouble, he would basically be on his own. She wanted to be useful on this occasion, if not to keep him safe, then herself.

"I-It can't be that hard" .

The shooting range was a fair size. Lined up with wooden targets littered with fresh and old blaster holes. The room smelled of singed, burnt wood and a tinge of metal, it was just as old and worn in here as it was in every other corner of the D'Qar base. But it did have charm going for it.

The Resistance member who handled weaponry handed them two fresh blasters without as much as a bat of his eyes. Either he had been informed by the General already, or Poe was using his fame without even needing to open his mouth. Either way, Sola didn't complain when Poe pressed the weapon into her hand, the safety still clicked on of course.

"Here, have a feel of it, you'll be taking this one with you tomorrow" The pilot waited as she tested the weight in her hand. It was heavier than she imagined from the small size, but not heavy enough to cause any discomfort. For as inexperienced as she was, the mechanic had a decent amount of upper body and arm strength, built up from her years of repairs, experiments and tinkering on her droids and speeders.

"Feels good...?" Was all she could really say to the weapon, inspecting it to make sure she familiarised herself with every button and edge.

"This is the safety clip, that's the stun button, and you know where the trigger is" Each aspect was pointed out carefully by Poe as he leaned over her shoulder. Just barely, his chest managed to bump against the back of her arm, but it was enough to make her pay closer attention to him.

"You need to keep a firm, but loose grip on it. Strong enough so the recoil doesn't knock it from your hand, but loose enough so you're not gonna snap it in two" He instructed guiding her hand up towards the target with his own.