( fourteen. )

June woke up to the sound of rushed footsteps overhead. She rubbed her eyes, trying to see if there were actually footsteps upstairs or if she had just been dreaming it. She stayed silent for a second, pulling her covers off as she listened for the footsteps again.

After only a minute or two of waiting she heard them again, making her jump at how loud they were, like someone was running around the room or something. On the third floor above her room was her dads old office, he hadn't been in there in weeks due to the fact that they were setting up his new office downstairs, so he wouldn't have to take as many steps to get there. June furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as she heard multiple pairs of footsteps, leaning that her father was not alone, if up there at all. June stood from her bed, making her way to the door, opening it as quietly as she could.

When she opened the door she was greeted with the sound of hushed whispers again, coming from upstairs. She turned to close the door but before she could close it a loud creak came out of it, making her  wince. She heard the voices quiet down and then footsteps leading down the hallway and to the stairs. June quickly ran down the stairs to the kitchen, not wanting to be caught snooping.

Her eyes widened as she saw who came down the stairs. Ward Cameron, her father, and her mother all made their way down, looking extremely distressed and red faced. June pretending to be reading the ingredients in the back of the coffee can on the counter.

Her parents bid Ward goodbye before coming into the kitchen to see their daughter standing there. They both shared a look before smiling.

"Good you're awake." Her mother said, walking over to put her arm around her daughter.

"Why was Ward Cameron here?" June asked, confusion written all over her face.

"He wasn't." Her father said, busting himself with the dishes.

"I just saw h-"

"He wasn't here June." Her father said, turning around and giving her a dangerous look. "Ward Cameron wasn't here."

"O-okay." June replied, turning away from her fathers glaring eyes. Her mother pat her back before turning away to help with the dishes.

"Now get something nice on. We're having the Roberts over for dinner." June's mother informed her. June's eyes widened as her mother said it, dread instantly filling every inch of her body.

"Mom no. Please. Zach and I aren't on good terms." June pleaded, putting her hands together to beg.

"That's exactly why were having the dinner. You don't need to have bad blood with anyone. Also I haven't seen Linda and Al for a while. It's gonna be nice."

"Dad please." June begged, turning to him.

"Sorry honey but they're already on their way. It'll be fine." June's father said, turning away to start the food. Her mother waved her off to go upstairs and change. June hugged, stomping all the way up to her room. She quickly changed and then  made her way back downstairs, hearing a knock at the door.

"June will you get that?" Her mother called, but June kept walking by the door, not stopping to answer it.

"Nope." She said, taking a seat at the dinner table. She leaned back in her chair, putting her feet into the table.